1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

kidney stones and percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL)

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon2980, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dammit, I'm pretty sure I have kidney stones again. :-( Suspect it will be confirmed shortly by doc. If I'm wrong, will be seriously relieved! However...
    Last time, I had lithotripsy, which was agony and took ages. I also have a slightly deformed left kidney (long story) which means that lithotripsy isn't as effective as it normally should be.
    Am starting a new job in a few weeks and want to take as little time off as possible, so am wondering whether percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) would be the best option.
    Would be really inerested to know whether anyone here has had this procedure. If so, how effective was it, how long did it take to recover and how painful was it?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Manny

2. Dammit, I'm pretty sure I have kidney stones again. :-( Suspect it will be confirmed shortly by doc. If I'm wrong, will be seriously relieved! However...
    Last time, I had lithotripsy, which was agony and took ages. I also have a slightly deformed left kidney (long story) which means that lithotripsy isn't as effective as it normally should be.
    Am starting a new job in a few weeks and want to take as little time off as possible, so am wondering whether percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) would be the best option.
    Would be really inerested to know whether anyone here has had this procedure. If so, how effective was it, how long did it take to recover and how painful was it?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Manny

3. Just googled this ... It is done under general anaesthetic so you won't feel a thing. You usually have a 1or2 night stay in hospital. Any pain is apparently managed easily with painkillers. I don't think you will need lots of time off.

I assume you are having this procedure due to large-ish stones? I was in hospital last year with a kidney stone - very unpleasant! Mine was small and passed on its own. I've since discovered I have raised parathyroid levels, which is why I have developed calcium stones. Now waiting for an endocrinology referral.

4. Thanks for replying, Mrs Mo.
    If I do have kidney stones again, I'm going to ask if I can opt for this procedure rather than lithotripsy, as it'll be a 'one off' absence of a few days, rather than several odd days of absence over a period of weeks.
    The deformity in my left kidney, meant that the lithotripsy last time wasn't entirely successful and took a lot longer than anticipated.
    No idea why I have stones, other than the fact that my dad had them, so assume it's a hereditary thing. Will ask GP about my parathyroid levels when see him next week.
    Thanks again.

5. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It depends what size they are Manashee.
    If they are small, they may do nothing.
    Unfortunately they tend to recur. I have quite a few knocking around, but they aren't causing a problem and are too small for any intervention.
    It is a problem though, as it doesn't matter about the size, they are all excruciatingly painful when they flare up.

6. Thanks, Doglover. I'll probably get sent for an IPV again and that should show up how big (or small) they are.
    I've had 'twinges' on and off for a few weeks now and I'm terrified of a big flare up (you know how agonising that can be). There's also been blood in my last 3 routine wee samples, although this could be something else.

7. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Keep drinking loads and loads. I think the consultant I saw told me to drink lime juice - I don't know why :s
    I do hope you don't have a really big flare up. I have honestly never experienced anything like it!

8. Yes, I try to drink lots. It's been almost a year since my visit to A&E with a kidney stone and it's not something I want to repeat. However, I know I have other stones in there and this is being caused by hyperparathyroidism. Until this is treated, I will continue to be at risk of another attack. ??