1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kidney scan - anyone had one?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jubileebabe, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I went to A&E last week with extreme pain in my side and back. They suspected a UTI, gave me pain killers and sent me for a test but the results were negative.
    My doctor wrote a referral for a kidney scan in case the results of the urine test were negative but we were expecting that the test would show something up.
    Now I have to go for the scan tomorrow afternoon and am a bit worried. I am not allowed to eat or drink for 6 hours before which will be hard as I am pregant and still a bit nauseous and have been advised to drink plenty of water which has been helping with the pain.
    Can anyone clue me in on what to expect from the scan? Will I have to drink something there that will show up?

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Having had two brothers-in -law with the same symptoms, sounds like it's kidney stones. They both had ultrasound scans which will show up the stones if they're big enough. Nothing to worry about, scan wise, but VERY painful symptoms, good luck !

3. Thanks for the reply!
    I've been googling kidney stones and it does sound like what I've got except I have not had blood in the urine.
    Do you know if they had to drink some kind of dye prior to the scan? I am just wondering why I have to fast for 6 hours before.
    What kind of treatment did your brothers in law have? Since I'm pregnant I don't know what kind of treatment would be available for me.

4. Hello, did they say what kind of scan it is? I had a kidney stone back in May. Went to A and E in agony! They took blood then sent me home with paracetamol! At home I was in so much pain I became delirious so went back 4 hours later where they found blood in my urine. I had a CT scan which revealed a stone but it was pretty small so they said just to leave it. I then had an ultrasound a few weeks later to check everything was ok (I was only 25 at the time, v young to have a kidney stone apparently!) and thankfully it was. When I had both scans I had to drink lots of water and because I felt so awful before the CT, the water made me feel nauseous. My tip to avoid that was don't force litres of water down you quickly, that's the mistake I made. I didn't have to drink any dye though.

Good luck! Sorry about lack of paragraphs typing this on an iPad!

5. They didn't say whether it would be ultrasound or CT. I assumed ultrasound since I'm pregnant and I don't think ST scans are safe but I don't understand why I would need to fast for 6 hours before it.
    I'm feeling nauseous anyway because of the pregnancy and forcing litres of water down myself definitely isn't going to help but neither is going witout liquid for 6 hours!
    How long did your pain last? I've had it for almost 2 weeks now. It was pretty bad when it came on but eased gradually during the next 48 hours so I thought it was over, then it niggled for a week then came on really severe and I went to A&E.

6. I had the scan and there were no kidney stones!
    Really surprised because having read about the symptoms it sounds exactly like what I had.
    The doctor said it is possible that there were stones there but they passed but she thinks that is unlikely. OF course today was my first pain free day in two weeks! She thinks that the pain was caused by uterus changing position and compressing the kidney and urinary tract.
    I just hope the pain stays away.