1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kidney infections - recovery time?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Fiona L, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hi, I'm probably going to see my GP about this anyway but I was wondering if any of you have had a kidney infection before and how long it took before you were recovered? I've not been well for just over a week but as I haven't had one before, I didn't realise what it was at first. I was off a couple of days before half term feeling really unwell and felt some tenderness around the kidney area but brushed it off and thought it would go away. It got worse on sunday so I went to the doctor on mon who said it was probably a kidney infection and I got antibiotics.
    After a few days of resting and sleeping I feel much better in terms of the lethargy and 'ill' feeling but I'm still quite sore and tender. I do feel like the pain is improving but it's still uncomfortable and obviously I've got in my mind that I'm back at work on monday so I'm hoping it clears up by then! I can go out and do things like get food shopping but it's still sore. I teach sen so I'm hoping that it's not going to still be hurting when I'm back in work! Still, no harm in making an appointment so I'll try and get one tomorrow to ask....

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Usually the antibiotics make you feel much better and you'll be fit for work within a few days.
    Make sure you take plenty of fluids when you go back to school and ensure you go to the loo when you need to - have a contingency plan in case you need to go in teaching time - school should be able to arrange that. Whatever you do, don't try to hold on (we all do it) for too long.
    Plan to return once you are feeling up to it - simple as that.

3. Thanks Giraffe. I just rang the surgery to ask about my specimen and they said the results have come back normal. Weird! I've made an appointment anyway just for peace of mind before I go back to work on monday as have still got some pain....

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Don't forget to drink plenty when you're back at school - steer clear of coffee for a bit and do go to the loo when you need to (especially before chilly playground duty or an after-school meeting!)
    Hope you are fully recovered soon [​IMG]

5. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

My sympathies; I was hospitalised with one and had to have intravenous antibiotics. I now take cranberry pills to guard against it happening again and ,touch wood, it hasn't. I went back too early and was really unwell still. The ache in my back didn't go for a very long time. Take care.

6. Fiona, I get recurrent UTIs and have kidney stones, as well, and am waiting on a hospital appointment.
    Was the sample sent before or after you started the anitbiotic?
    What you could do is to ask for a repeat sample to be sent off a few days after you finish your antibiotic.
    What exactly were the symptoms you had, if you don't mind me asking?

7. I'm just recovering from a liver infection and sounds like your taking about the same amount of time as me. I wasnt given any antibiotics but I had lots of blood tests to find out the cause, but they couldnt discover that. Lots of abdominal pain and felt really tired for about ten days. Back at work now but still dont have my energy back, and not much of an appetite. Am taking Milk Thistle, Vitamin E and Turmeric as these are recommended as supporting liver recovery. No idea what caused the infection but at least it was nothing major. I have a feeling this takes a while as I now have dandruff and dry skin which I never suffer from, so I suspect its a part of shedding all the 'dead' stuff.

8. You may have a kidney stone. Did your GP refer you for a scan?