1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kicked out...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by helenemdee, Aug 4, 2018.

1. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Myself and my partner have been renting our house nearly 4 years. The contract is renewed on a 6-monthly or yearly basis and next expires at the start of October. Today we received notice that the landlord will not renew our tenancy agreement this time and we are to move out by October 6th. We are reliable tenants who always pay on time and have never put a foot wrong (We have broken the rule about pets, but they don't know that). My partner thinks it is something to do with the fact that he asked for reimbursement for the cost of an out-of-hours call-out to a repair man to solve a problem with the water pipes. We believe this is something the landlord should pay for. When he first requested reimbursement he was ignored; he reminded them yesterday, the agency said they would speak to the landlord and today we get a notice of eviction. Coincidence? Should we put up and shut up or should we argue it?

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I don't think there's much you can do however you could ring Citizens advice and see what they say.

install, frangipani123 and nomad like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the repair issue. I think it's solely down to the fact that the landlord wants greater income from his investment than he imagines you will pay, or wants to sell the property, which isn't so simple with a sitting tenant.

Regrettably, there is little you can do about this appalling situation. You are bound by the tenancy agreement, which only secures your habitation of the property for the term of the tenancy agreement.

It's part of the reason that rents are so ridiculously high and nothing will change until and if ever, government legislation comes in to prevent landlords forever seeking to hike up rents. I read a while back that around 25% of MPs own rental properties, so I wouldn't hold your breath in the hope such legislation soon will be forthcoming.

The only thing likely to change the situation that many people like you find themselves in, is for the nation to change its voting habits as far away from the Nasty Party as possible and try to seek out politicians with a social conscience.

4. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

A similar thing happened to one of my daughters about 18 months ago. Her landlord decided to sell. Nothing she could do, he gave her proper notice. She was very annoyed as she liked the place and her neighbours.
    Luckily she is in the North and with a bit of help from the family managed to buy her first home. As to the landlord, the sale fell through and the property was on the market for several months (she passed it on her way home each night) .

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hard for you I know and yes there's little you can do provided the landlord has given the required notice. They have to give more notice I e 2 months, compared to your own 1 month
    it may be
    I know when I was renting out my Mums house to help pay for the huge bills in a Nursing Home the rent never rose in those 5 years, because the initial rent was £xx amount and I was told it stayed the same as in the original agreement. After 5 years in the NH my Mum's fees had risen by 60%, yet the rental income hadn't risen at all and wasn't helping at all.

This may also be the reason. I know after my Mum's tenant's 5 years I had to give notice because we needed to sell to recoup the money. However because I knew November was a bad time to sell I did let me stay on a month by month basis so I just had time to get the house ready for putting on the market in the Spring. So you might enquire if a monthly basis is now possible. it should be after that length of tenancy and remember when you've found somewhere new you only have to give a month's notice.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

So it seems you did not get the reimbursement yet?
    Pursue that as much as you have time for, because something tells me it will be harder once you have left.
    Additionally if you have broken the tenancy agreement about pets, I wouldn't be so sure that it is impossible for the landlord to know. Whilst the landlord is within their rights to refuse renewal in this timescale, it does seem coincidental, doesn't it? And if it has been sparked by the reimbursement claim, then you can be sure they would use the pet matter to hold back on your deposit. Possibly justifiably if, for example there are pet smells or hairs. You are going to have to clean up pretty thoroughly before the inventory inspection.
    In some ways it is harder for me to get on side about you wishing to stay when in fact you have broken the agreement in the pet matter, but then again I don't know the circumstances. Perhaps it's a stick insect in a Wikinger Jumbo Hot Dog jar or a tiny fish in a bowl...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    lindenlea likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

?? Yes you have.

You're tenants, the landlord has decided not to renew the contract which you always knew could happen. You have breached the rules of the contract, and it's really inconvenient and upsetting to have to move but there it is.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thinking further (sorry, two posts on this from me) your landlord maybe has their own regular people who fix up issues and repairs? The out of hours thing is unfortunate-I'm imagining water gushing out of the boiler, or some sort of pernicious blockage or leak? Whatever, it sounds as if you had to be pro active on the matter and the landlord had no say in it. No opportunity to view the issue or sort their own person to come in, probably somebody with a reciprocal back scratching arrangement
    I've met landlords who would respond to this in indignance. "There wasn't anything wrong, you're shafting me". Or "I could have fixed it for a tenth of the price, I'm not paying you back the full amount". Perhaps rather than have this confrontation, he would prefer tenants who suffer plumbing issues in the night, leave it til the next day to insitigate contact with him, and then continue to suffer the issue for three days until they can get a cheapo sticking plaster fix on it at minimal expense.
    If this is true, and it rings true to me because he has been difficult in reimbursement, then you're better off elsewhere anyway. You need somebody renting to you who takes their responsibilities seriously. Seen this way, the end of a beautiful thing is also a step away from somebody who you are paying your hard earned cash to, but who is not looking after your interests. Here is a chance to end this latent indignity.
    Equally you need somewhere which allows pets, if you are to have a pet. A contractual clause against them is there for a reason, and when you sign you have to respect that as a given.

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

If your pets have fur then they will have fleas.
    The new tenants in your house will be going ape because they too will have fleas. They will be wanting recompense for their trouble.
    The landlord will have to have the house fumigated.
    And there will still be fleas for quite a while after that as they hatch out for 3 months or more.
    It might need fumigating again.
    You get rid of your pet and move into a property where someone has had a pet and then , you will be bitten by the fleas left behind by their pet. And so it goes on.
    Emergency call out for a plumber? How much is that 300 pounds or so? A big chunk of your rent I think. Plus the flea problem.
    Sigh

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

When I lived abroad, I rented my house in UK out. On my return I wanted my house back. I had good reliable tenants however my agency issued an eviction order. Tenants got upset thinking they had done something wrong. The agency then explained the situation - I wanted my house back. They were still upset, however, sometimes no matter how good you are as tenants, landlords own the house and whatever reason may want it back one day. That's life unfortunately

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have owned dogs for years. None have ever had fleas. There are no fleas in our house. It is a possibility but not a certainty.

I agree with @FollyFairy. If you rent then your landlord has a right to give you notice. They may well have their own reasons for doing so.

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

There isn't, as far as I am aware, anything you can do. It may be co-incidence, it may not, but it is a legal way for the landlord to behave. You, on the other hand, have broken the tenancy agreemant and, frankly, are lucky to have got away with it so far.
    You have 2 months and time to look for somewhere new. The landlord may have other plans for the property, such as needing to sell, or wanting to house a family member. I would query whether it is to do with getting more money, as previous posters have claimed, because he could simply put the rent up for you when he renews in October, if that was all he wanted.
    Without more information, I can't comment on the out of hours thing. Was it an emergency? (Flooded bathroom, exploded oven?) or just an inconvenience? (drippy tap, non-working oven?) One merits an out of hours response and you should be reimbursed, the other, not.
    And pets don't automatically mean fleas, it's true, but there is a clause in the tenacy agreement about no pets for a reason. You may be very lucky to get your whole deposit back.
    Sorry not to be able to give better comments.

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Be grateful you managed four years there. My son and dil who have kept their rented places immaculate and never caused problems despite living in some pretty carp places (damp, missing floor boards, dodgy window frames etc.) have had to move 4times in about 5 years because successive landlords wanted their houses or flats back to sell them. This has played havoc with son being able to get to work and Dil making hospital appointments (she has disability) as rents are very high here and each time it's a struggle to find something they can afford, ending in moving further and further out of area.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Easily prevented with monthly application of Advocate or similar rom the vet.

ETA: The OP has clearly broken the tenancy agreement though which may or may not have a bearing.

15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Renting has quite a number of downsides and this is one of them. It's hard to know the reason why they have given you notice, but it does appear to be linked to the out-of-hours call out which was no doubt very expensive. Something to be aware of in the future.

Start to look around at what is available, and who knows, you may find somewhere even better. I don't envy people having to rent these days as rents are so high. If you haven't already, maybe try to start a savings plan towards a deposit on your own home.

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I do understand the posters upset at being asked to leave however thereareother views
    The landlord might want to refurbishthe property.if yo have had an animal the chances are tehy wil strip the property.Lady over the road had a dog in the bottom flat, withthe landlords knowledge,She has now Gone back to NI and within a day the whole flate was stripped out and the carpets replaced with wooden flooring,and kitchens relplaced( she had been there for a number of years) plus lots of other jobs undertaken. My landlord next door comes and paints the rooms and empties out totally every time one of his tenants moves.
    The landlord might also want to raise rents,Since the government decided to reduce what a landlord can claim,reducing the profitability of renting, in this area lots of flats/homes have been sold by landlords.This reduces the number being rented, but forces folks on lower wages out of an area. On the other hand banks are asking landlords to raise the rents to higher levels to being back profibility to the owners.This might explain why they want you out as I believe the security of tenure act means they can only raise rents after a rent review if you have lived there a number of years.So an easier way is to get you out as rent reviews tend to be mean in the amount they allow it to be increase by.
    Despite your supicions they still have the right to reposses the flat,whether you go willingly or go after a lot of legal hassle and if you have boken the tenancy and had an animal then they might want to deduct the cost of stripping out from your fixtures and fittings fee.
    Some of the folk on here rent so they will inform you better.

Lara mfl 05 and monicabilongame like this.
  17. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

fwiw OP has two cats, from their recent posting history. There was a "Cats' Relationship Issues" post asking for help not long ago, about which they were very concerned...I shall post no disdain for this quandary as I don't want to be leaped on by the cute-furry-cat-picture-makes-my-day brigade. I love cats. They make my world go round and fulfill my deepest need for love and fulfillment.not

I suppose the fact of having cats might yet cause a tenant landlord relationship issue, because Love Is Blind n all that.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The sad fact is that the landlord doesn't need a reason to kick you out. Section 21 gives them ultimate power. Unless you can change the landlord's mind, then you are going to move at some point.

The upside is that if you don't move out by the due date then they have to get a possession order from the court which will take time and cost money before the bailiff comes round and locks you out. Any attempt by the landlord to circumvent that will cost them dear. You don't want to go down this route unless strictly necessary because you may incur extra debt. Making a week by week arrangement with the landlord until you finally move is a cheaper option.

So you have a reliable two months which you need to use to the utmost and, if necessary, some extra time if you don't quite manage the move by the due date.

I'm afraid you are going to need to get weaving looking for a new place to live.:oops: Best of luck.

EmanuelShadrack and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Interest rates went up yesterday. The landlord's mortgage payments will be higher and landlords can no longer put mortgage interest down as an expense on their accounts. The landlord may well want to sell the flat. The landlord of a property on my street has been disposing of his entire portfolio over the last few years. He sold his last property, on my street in May.

I'm the landlord of a student property. I would not be happy if my tenants broke the tenancy agreemment by having pets. The issue of fleas is a big one for landlords, especially when they provide furnished accommodation. A friend of my daughet's lodged in a house that had fleas and had to dispose of clothing, bedding etc when she moved out in order not to transfer the problem to her next place.