1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kick me when I am down why don't you!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tt20, May 24, 2012.

1. Well that is it. The road has come to a very messy end.
    Well been off school since Tuesday with sickness, glands swollen andmost likely anxiety. Just like last time evrything hunky dory and BAM I get hit with another cause for concern without warning with one week left to go. Apparantly I am not meeting standards and they are not going to pass me.
    Nice email from mentor at school this morning with a nice get better soon take care blah blah blah and couldn't even tell me what had happened. Yet again wasn't aware of this as noone had discussed it with me on Monday or bothered to email me and just inform me,
    Yes the school I am at is outstanding but I feel that the mentor I have received and the class teachers I have taken over from have been unsupportive. The feedback I receive is 'yeah great' and then get told my LO's aren't correct etc. How can I improve if you don't tell me? I should not have to beg for observations nor they should be reminded as the handbook states that is on their list of responsibilities. When I have tried to say in the past I don't feel supported got hit with 'your unprofessional' and 'you can't say that' and the usual 'but it's an outstanding school'.
    When asked bout what sort of placement I wanted I strongly expressed I did not want this school. I heard they failed someone last year aswell, my confidence is low anyway and now walking away with no confidence, no degree and no job. But of course my tutor knows me bettter than myself- I actually cried when she placed me there. But noooo "I used to work there you and your mentor will get on great" (yes, I have later learned off a lecturer she placed me at this school as she thought me and my mentor would get on great despite not being the sort of mentor I actually asked for)
    Yes my mentor has been more supportive than last time but I feel she is contradicts herself. Only a few weeks ago "Don't worry you're not going to fail this placement at all" sorry what was that?
    Very angry and upset this has been done with one week to go. Oh and to top it off one of the things they have picked up on about setting expectations and behaviour management- what do you call what I set at the start of term? scotch mist? oh and the detentions I give out aswell as having 2 people removed from my lesson and seating plans.
    Sorry to moan but finally defeated.[​IMG]

2. Well that is it. The road has come to a very messy end.
    Well been off school since Tuesday with sickness, glands swollen andmost likely anxiety. Just like last time evrything hunky dory and BAM I get hit with another cause for concern without warning with one week left to go. Apparantly I am not meeting standards and they are not going to pass me.
    Nice email from mentor at school this morning with a nice get better soon take care blah blah blah and couldn't even tell me what had happened. Yet again wasn't aware of this as noone had discussed it with me on Monday or bothered to email me and just inform me,
    Yes the school I am at is outstanding but I feel that the mentor I have received and the class teachers I have taken over from have been unsupportive. The feedback I receive is 'yeah great' and then get told my LO's aren't correct etc. How can I improve if you don't tell me? I should not have to beg for observations nor they should be reminded as the handbook states that is on their list of responsibilities. When I have tried to say in the past I don't feel supported got hit with 'your unprofessional' and 'you can't say that' and the usual 'but it's an outstanding school'.
    When asked bout what sort of placement I wanted I strongly expressed I did not want this school. I heard they failed someone last year aswell, my confidence is low anyway and now walking away with no confidence, no degree and no job. But of course my tutor knows me bettter than myself- I actually cried when she placed me there. But noooo "I used to work there you and your mentor will get on great" (yes, I have later learned off a lecturer she placed me at this school as she thought me and my mentor would get on great despite not being the sort of mentor I actually asked for)
    Yes my mentor has been more supportive than last time but I feel she is contradicts herself. Only a few weeks ago "Don't worry you're not going to fail this placement at all" sorry what was that?
    Very angry and upset this has been done with one week to go. Oh and to top it off one of the things they have picked up on about setting expectations and behaviour management- what do you call what I set at the start of term? scotch mist? oh and the detentions I give out aswell as having 2 people removed from my lesson and seating plans.
    Sorry to moan but finally defeated.[​IMG]

3. I get the impression this is in a secondary school, butplease you are not alone this is also happening in primary schools.
    The school tutor has had it in for me since day one. I have fought every battle you can imagine and today she kicked me out of the school with a form which states a bunch of lies. So tonight through the tears and anger I have written down how I have completed all of these points and disagree with what she says. Hopefully my uni will stand up for whats right and see that the things that have happened are not from any fault of my own I have tried and done my best.

Just have to hope!
    Good luck. Keep your chin up and keep records of everything, know what you have and havent done!

4. wendyw00

wendyw00 New commenter

Mine is a secondary.
    I am sorry to hear you got kicked out of school-I get the impression that student teachers are not warmly recieved in many schools! We are in a rubbish position- in the direct line for constant critisism (constructive I can take if backed with targets/advice on how to improve), no one to turn to when in need of a friendly supportive role. When all confidence and self-esteem has drained from you they tell you you need to be confident and have a thick skin.
    I would love to believe that the uni will be the decent party but must admit I do worry when it seems they are personally linked to the school mentors having worked along side them in their actual school teaching days- at least this is the case on my part.
    I will definately write a report of the experience, not that I am sure anyone will be interested- I just feel really sad how the experience has left me uncertain of my own abilities and faith in the system.
    Anyway its half term next week, then only a week left in school before going back to uni for the brief stint then it will be a long head scratch as to what to do next!
    Heads high and all of that- if nothing more its definately been an experience we wont forget!!

5. The first thing to do is check the handbook and see that the school and uni have followed their procedures correctly. If they have not then you can appeal against a decision on the grounds that the procedures as published were not followed. A C4C should also be backed with an action plan designed to get you through and you should be given enough time to do this (so see if they plan to extend the placement).
    The Sage

6. Dont be defeated, I have been there and it was vile :( I wanted to quit and never teach again. My mentor was so unsupportive, my teacher knocked the confidence from out of me, my university mentor said it was my own fault and wouldn't believe me when I said how bad it was. I failed but fought to have another chance at another school. I won my appeal and passed teaching post SATs year 6's year 7 work!! Considering they said I didnt have good subject knowledge I managed to teach year 7 work fine.
    Do not give up :) x

7. Im just reading a letter sent to me from school stating I'm failing-despite being off sick for a week and no previous indication that anything was wrong. This forum has given me faith that it isnt all in my head-bullying does happen. Dont give up-passing and sailing off into the sunset into your career is the best two fingers up to them you can give.

8. IndigoandViolet

IndigoandViolet New commenter

Oh god I've been at all of these and it's just so horrible.

Take note of what Sage says

1) Check your procedures - you can normally at least buy yourself some thinking time by getting them to do everything to the letter and in writing
    2) Demand a bloody action plan. It amazes me that teachers (TEACHERS!) think you can just tell someone to 'get better' and give no guidance as to how
    3) I hate that they do it without telling you. Informal feedback guys - it's useful!
    4) An extension sounds like a good idea if you think it's at all possible.
    5) Go and see your union (student or otherwise). If nothing else, they'll be a supportive person to talk through options with.

Love to all.

I&V

9. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

This makes me very angry. As sage says, check the handbook guidance relating to C4C. As Sage says, you MUST be allowed time to address the action plan targets. No way can this happen if C4C is issued very late on SE. If either the school or the university have failed to keep their side of the <u>partnership</u>, go to appeal. Also, as stated above, get EVIDENCE of e.g. help offered but not given/ missed weekly meetings through no fault of yours/ written targets with no back-up etc...
    What is it with some teachers? Vindictive?
    What is it with some universities? Afraid of upsetting the school (and therefore not being offered placements next year)?
    I&V's point 2... sadly true

10. Just wanted to extend my sympathies as someone who was in this position not long ago.
    I too spent my final placement in a school where I wasn't wanted. On arrival to the school I was introduced to the class teacher who responded to my 'Hi i'm xxxxxxxxx, your student' with 'Well I certainly didnt ask for a student but here you are!'
    Things did not improve over the next 10 weeks!
    -She tried to fob me off saying i will be working with the LSA, not her. I had to complain to my mentor (who luckily was wonderful) before I got to work alongside her.
    -She repeatedly failed to turn up to observations we had planned, I only had two observations from her, I needed four as a minumum so had to work with other teachers to get them.
    - After the first two weeks she had barely spoken two words to me, so I asked if she had any feedback/tips for me. The response I got was 'You're on your final placement, I'm not spoonfeeding you!'
    - I never recieved one piece of feedback In the 10 weeks, whenever i asked if what i had done was ok all I would get was 'yep, fine.'
    - My visiting tutor came in to observe me and give my mid-term assessment. At my previous placement I was given three B's (goods) in the assessment areas, so obviously aimed for outstanding in all areas. My tutor agreed that I should be on target for those grades and said (to my surprise) that my teacher agreed I was doing well.
    - A couple of weeks before the end of placement my teacher said to me' You realise you wont be a qualified teacher at the end of this dont you? You're doing a B A, Not a B ed.' I had to explain that my course contained QTS, which is why I was there in the first place. The woman didnt even know what course i was on!
    -Three days away from freedom and I get my grades from her...... B, B, C. This was the final straw, I was not prepared to accept this! I provided her with masses of evidence as to why I didn't deserve those grades, and as many of you have stated, why didnt you give me any feedback so i could improve!
    - The next day my tutor came for the final observation and I discussed my issues with her. Although she said she couldnt make her change me to outstanding despite the fact she recognised thats what i deserved, she did (even though she said she wasnt meant to!) Make her change the C to a B.
    - The last two days were HELL. She made me take all my displays down before I left. She kept making nasty comments to me when no one else was around. On the last day i came in with presents and a card for each of the team (including her). She gave my card back to me and said that 'she had her integrity and she had her morals, and that accepting the card would be hypocritical'. I had nothing from her, nothing was made for me by the children. She left afterschool without saying a word to me. My teaching assistants had to wait until she was gone to give me a card that they had bought behind her back. I've never cried so much in my life!
    Feels good to get that off my chest after such a long time!
    My point is, at this point in time you will feel rock bottom, that everyone has a low opinion of you (particularly yourself!) and that you can't possibly carry on in this cut throat career. But there IS light at the end of the tunnel! Hold your heads high and realise that you are better than what they are labelling you to be. Most of them enjoy the power trip, but don't let them stop you. I've recently got my first permanent job, and I know you will go on to have bright careers ahead of you. Fight back, its the only way to stop these bullies in their tracks! The most imporant thing is to gather evidence that you are good enough to pass and present these to anyone who will listen! Don't give up because you know you are good teachers. If anything it does make you stronger, and i know now that i will be a fantastic mentor to any students as i know exactly what not to do!
    Best of luck to you all, keep us updated!

11. Hello all,
    Thanks for all your replies and I am so sad that others are in the same position as me.
    Been given a two week extension. They said that they didn't feel i was meeting some standards and finally told my tutor about lack of support- I have been assured I will get it.
    The situation wasn't as bad as I first though although I still feel defeated. They said I wasn't consistently meeting them and thats why they wont pass me yet. Have been assured I will pass although not very confident.
    No action plan has been put in place- just hints and tips. Don't know what to plan for next term- finally asked for help and guess what.... No response.
    But carrying on I just keep thinking I have 9 days to prove myself 1 standard per day and I will not be beaten.
    To all of you who have suffered the same as me- we can do it and you will get through it as we have comne so far. Lets not give up and duel the dragons :)
    much love tt20 xx

12. OH MY WORD
    I want to give you all hugs. I found myself in a similar ish position when I was 2 weeks from the end of my NQT year at a school where I'd done my placement. Cue lots of angry faces and people refusing to acknowledge that they'd messed up. "It was clearly my fault." Tosh I say now to them and I escaped as soon as I could.
    Having been through this, I vowed that I would never treat any of my student teachers this way. Blimey, I'm 10 years into this job in September and I still feel like I'm on my first day with some classes.
    Be brave and calm and be fantastic. Wearing fabulous shoes also helps with a confidence boost. I ALWAYS wear my pink sequin shoes on days when I have nasty classes. Clicking them together mid lesson and saying "there's no place like home" in my head gets me through it. As does a Mars bar [​IMG]

13. Hearing these stories makes me realise that I am not as much of a failure as I thought because I have been put on cause for concern and have a 3 week extension. I don't know if I could have received better support in my placement but I do think that because the department was 'satisfactory' last OFSTED and has been refered to the LA for extra support, possibly the teachers themselves aren't aiming as high as they could do. My thoughts about the cracks in the department aside, the feelings some posters are expressing are very similar to mine. I got Very Good in Phase 1, at a school I adored. My mentor was disorganised but so supportive, gave me great ideas, really seemed to enjoy having me. Then towards the end of Phase 2 my anxiety kicked in, I struggled to keep up, cried after my second tutor observation and voiced concerns over how I was coping/feeling. 6 weeks later this was picked up and action was taken. I have also got the option of suspending on Health grounds so it isn't a total write off. The outcome is that I still don't know if I will pass and I have an NQT job so could be letting that school down and I don't really believe I can be a satisfactory, let alone good or outstanding, teacher as my confidence is so knocked. Since Phase 1 my overall experience has been really negative and I really question whether this was a good idea at all.