1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keystage 1 TA support.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No wonder you're feeling 'burnt out!' Totally unrealistic expectations on behalf of SMT in my opinion - though I suppose the every child under the spotlight every day in every lesson' could be open to interpretation?

2. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Hi I'm in year 2 with no TA support also. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Not much help I know, it is hard.
    Have you any colleagues to share tasks with?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Having spent the last two years in my school in upper KS2 with no TA support at all and ranted and raved about the stupidity of KS1 having so much TA time and KS2 so little, I did then speak to the DH a few weeks ago and said something along the lines of 'be careful what you wish for!"

I have a fabulous class TA every morning, who is just amazing and I really couldn't manage without her. I also have a great TA every morning to who does an incredible 1:1 job with a statemented child. However until half term I had the same TA support in the afternoon, but two totally different people. The pair were utterly useless and a complete nightmare. I really did think I would have been better off with no-one. It seems really horrible to say that I am pleased both have left at half term (nothing to do with me I might add!) but I can't help it.

Tot he OP I would say try to train the children to do an awful lot for you. Some of them can be trained to use the paper trimmer to mount work, or can sort out resources before school if you leave them a list and that kind of thing. But keep asking and putting pressure on SMT to get you a good TA for at least some of the time to do all the jobs we aren't supposed to do.

4. And the TAs that do exist have been told they are not there to do those sort of jobs but to support the children. I can almost cope with that but its the lack of support for the children, keeping them focused, engaged, interacting and learning that is becoming increasingly more stressful. Together the situation is becoming unbearable.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hmmmm I think this is where I might have an advantage. Being used to not having a TA, means I am used to doing this for a whole class myself. Lots of short activities works for me. Also rotating children round activities so that they know they will get to do the more exciting seeming ones later in the week. I also make a big deal of how lucky they are to be 'working all by themselves without a grown up to help' and we talk about what they need to do to be successful.

But it is hard, especially with the less mature ones.