1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keyboards

Discussion in 'Music' started by sarah035, Jan 17, 2016.

?

How often should students have access to keyboards in lesson

1. Most lessons

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Often

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Limited access

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only occasionally

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sarah035

sarah035 New commenter

I am very happy to have found this forum!
    I am teaching part time in a small school which expecting an HMI visit at any time. Over the past year, there has been quite a bit of disruption to music teaching. I have lost both teaching and storage space, but managed to retain a set of keyboards that allows pupils to work in pairs or individually. SMT do not seem to be very happy about this.
    I am aware that some schools have policies of restricting access to keyboards and that they can be over used. However, I think that the idea that OFSTED don't like them (if that is the reason) is something of an urban myth. However I have just downloaded a few lesson plans which achieved OFSTED 'outstanding' and keyboards were used. Really need to convince SMT that this can happen!
    I have very limited space or resources for an alternatives to keyboards for composing and performing work. Some of the pupils have limited vocal ability due to their Special Educational Needs. Equally to play a wind instrument for example.
    I have previously worked in a Wider Ops settting, and completed the training, and also have followed Musical Futures for many years.

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

I have never heard of anyone saying ofsted don't like keyboards! As with any musical instrument, it depends what you are doing with it, how musically it is being used, and the musical progress taking place that matters. It would probably be beneficial long term to have some other resources and storage space etc, but for now you're doing the best with the resources you've got.
    Are you setting up keyboards at the start of every lesson and putting them away somewhere at the end? This is not ideal. Do you have headphones? If not, would massively recommend, to give the option of better independent/paired work without distractions.

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I've used keyboards for OFSTED lessons. As long as the students are making progress then there's no issue. When using keyboards with headphones in, it can take a little longer to get students attention and there is the issue of you not being able to hear who's off task and playing 'heart and soul', so I have always removed the headphones when the big O have been in. OFSTED want to see practical music lessons, rather than theoretical lessons only, so as long as they're practical, you should be ok. DON'T let them take your keyboards off you!!