1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keyboards for secondary music classroom

Discussion in 'Music' started by francise, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Please help.
    We have 2 classrooms fully kitted out with computers (cubase and sibelius etc.) but neither have playback options through speakers nor are situated where pupils can play as an ensemble, only in pairs through headphones. In one room the computers are on their last legs and we wish to replace them with electronic keyboards so ensemble and whole class keyboard work becomes possible.
    Can anyone recommend a keyboard that would be an appropriate replacement?
    Many thanks

2. Please help.
    We have 2 classrooms fully kitted out with computers (cubase and sibelius etc.) but neither have playback options through speakers nor are situated where pupils can play as an ensemble, only in pairs through headphones. In one room the computers are on their last legs and we wish to replace them with electronic keyboards so ensemble and whole class keyboard work becomes possible.
    Can anyone recommend a keyboard that would be an appropriate replacement?
    Many thanks

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Yamaha do a wide range from about 60 quid upwards. I'm told Roland are good too. Personally I've never taken to Casios.

4. we have a classroom full of yamahas and a classroom full of casios. MUCH prefer the yamahas - they are bigger (although obviously a little more expensive) about 60-70 quid I think - our ones are 6-7 years old to recent buys.

5. You want a keyboard to replace the computer? Why can't you use the playback? Just wondering as obviously this would open up some cheap options on the MIDI keyboard front.

6. http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e323/?mode=model

The above is the keyboard I use - I had to have touch response. Also, they are not very loud. However, I do have some Casio 4000 and 5000 keyboards which have the advantage of having USB in - so easily connect to computers. I have some computers with midi-controller keyboards and student monitor these from th eehadphone output of the computer - but it's not much good for ensemble work because unless they have Cubase running the keyboard does not do anything. in which case they might as well be doing sequencing.
    Casio will do both jobs - connect to comupter and stand alone The CTK4000 is excellent.
    RMA

7. Thank you for your advice.....looking into the model suggested! Re the Casio CTK4000, will a cheap, standard cross bar stand suffice or is it too heavy and need something more substantial?
    Thanks again!

8. CTK and YAMAHA will easily go on a stand, in fact that is what I use - they are light.