1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keyboard advice needed, daughter learning piano

Discussion in 'Music' started by ian60, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

This is the first time I have been on this forum, I hope you can help me.
    My daughter (8 yo) has recently started piano lessons. Obviously she needs somethng to practise on at home, however a proper piano is out of the question for many reasons.
    So we are looking at electronic keyboards/pianos (is there a difference?). We have looked at a Casio model (CTK 810) that seems to be quite good according to internet reviews.
    But then a local music shop has some models by a company called Ringway, these are quite a bit more expensive, but do describe themselves as electric pianoes.

Could anyone advise us as to what we should be looking for, or even better recommend a model? I should stress that we live in the ME and the range on offer is not huge.

Many thanks for any comments you may make.

Ian

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

If your daughter is learning the piano she really needs a piano or a proper electric piano. The Casio you mention is just a cheap electronic keyboard. If you can't have a real piano then you really ought to go for something with full size, weighted keys and as long a keyboard as possible (88 keys ideally). The more you pay the better it will be. It is possible to practise on a keyboard but the feel is so different and the sound so poor that your daughter would find it severely limiting quite quickly. If money is an issue you might look for something second hand. A secondhand digital piano with weighted full size keys will be much better than a new electronic keyboard. I'm not a big expert on digital pianos but Yamaha have a good name as do Roland and Kawai. I've never heard of Ringway. They seem to be a minor player in the world of digital pianos.

3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Try the following site for advice

www.pianoworld.com/forum

You will probably need to register, but the information you will find is excellent!!

4. You will definitely need a weighted keyboard. I like the Yamaha Arius range and own the YDP 161 which is roughly 900 pounds. If money is an issue most music shops offer 12 months interest free finance.

5. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thank you all for your advice and wisdom. It might not have been what I wanted to hear, but it is very much appreciated all the same.

Should any of you ever feel the need to buy a calculator, I would be happy to reciprocate some advice [​IMG]