1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key workers in a Nursery with a qualified teacher

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by barbie14uk1, Nov 7, 2019.

1. barbie14uk1

barbie14uk1 New commenter

Hi everyone.

I'm just looking for some opinions about swapping the key worker adult each half term.

We have started swapping groups as to allow the teacher the opportunity to spend time with all of the children but we are not sure if this is the right thing to do as before the groups stayed with the TA all year..

I have tried to research and it all seems fifty fifty. Some school nurseries swap and some don't.

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the subject.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I guess it's all subjective. Communication is key. The teacher should have a grip on all the children and the TAs should feed back to the teacher as they are the one ultimately responsible for the progress of the children.
    I guess it's the teachers decision but I don't like the idea of not being personally involved with all the children in the class and then delegating group work etc. In order to get the observations then others feeding back. Otherwise how can the teacher justify and reason their assessments when moderating?
    I know plenty of schools do it. Maybe just not my preference.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I just realised I deviated from your original question/comment. If you're doing it in a key group format then it just means the children might not develop an as strong relationship with the adult if they realise they're just going to be ditched the next term.
    Waters down the knowledge of the child too. Then again, exposes the child to more assessment scrutiny having different people observe them and sharing findings.
    Different sides of the coin. All heads.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

nursery children need consistancy in their relationships more than they need a qualified teacher

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Agreed, the whole point of the key person approach is to enable children to build that close attachment to one person , so there's no really good reason to move them about.
    But you also don't need adults to only ever work or play with their key children. The teacher can still work with all the children at different times and in different ways.

littlejackhorner and May2 like this.