1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Worker Time in the Nursery, Please Help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JAC29, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hey,

I am new in the Nursery and am confused about Key Worker Groups. The children are now divided into groups and we go into our groups on a Monday to discuss news and stories & discuss sharing etc. Is a document available that the Nursery should be following? How long should a key worker session be?

2. I am a nursery class teacher and we have three keyworker groups. We each sit with our key worker groups at snack time which is more of a social time where children learn to sit, listen, take turns, etc. This lasts about 10 minutes. Any other group times we have I plan as the class teacher and direct the other key workers what to do. Do you have nursery manager or are you in a nursery class? All group times are less than 15 mins as the children are so young and cannot cope with sitting and listening for long periods but as i said you should definately have soem guidance from somewhere. Hope that helps?!

3. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

I know this is quite an old post now but I am interested in the types of activities you do at group time. In my new nursery we will be having group time at the end of the session and previously it had always been story based than the key worker groups come together for larger groups where they sang and were collected by their parents. This year with the new curriculum I would like to introduce more physical activities, therefore woudl like to make key worker group time an active session with the children gathering into larger groups for the stroy so they are still getting the story sessions each day but get a variety of other activites as well.
    So far I have got a physical activity such as sticky kids, tumble tots, action kids type session. Then a action songs session where they will learn new songs such as ones from out of the ark or similar. I have also got a library session where they will be chossing books to take and share at home, may also add in activities to share at home such as maths activiites. I have the Jenny Mosely circle itme book which I woudl like to use to encouarage positive behaviour and relationships.
    I would like lots of variety in the sessions so the children get lots of different experiences and able to build positive relationships with their key workers. I obviously will be asking the other keyworkers what they would like to do so they are happy and confident.
    thanks for your support

4. We have 2 keyworker times, one at the beginning and one at the end of the session. they last for about 10 min max. We try to focus on 3 phonics, 3 PSRN, these both include singing and stories, 2 PD and 1 PSED & KUW. We tend to do a lot of CD, PSED and KUW as adult led activities in provision.

5. in our school nursery half do WriteDance (for nursery) & the other half do their L & S activity - next day swap over so everyone is in a comfortable group - it's a short session. WriteDance is nice & active & enjoyed by everyone - the mark making really comes on too. Storytime at the end of session.

6. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

OOh I'd forgotten about write dance, I have got that somewhere, though not sure it is the nursery version. May need to get that one. Thank you for reminding me of that one. I have added Letters and soudns activities in as well now.

7. what is write dance? sounds interesting? i work with 0-3 so is is suitable for them?