1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key worker children in school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Biggrizzleybear, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Biggrizzleybear

Biggrizzleybear New commenter

I work for the NHS, have been on night shift since schools closed. However next week I am going to back to the usual day shifts that I used to do before just. I use to work 9:30 till 2:45 as my manager agreed to it when I came back from maternity leave. There will be no one at home to look after my children as my husband is a key worker and works 9 till 5:30. My children will be going to school (primary) and I have been told that they will be in the key worker bubble. I don't have any problems with this. My question is, in the key worker bubble, in most schools are they playing or doing work??

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

From what I gather the keyworker 'bubbles' are mixed ages, so the teacher will not be actively teaching. That doesn't mean that the children will be playing. As with the children still at home, they will be getting the work set by their usual teacher.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Biggrizzleybear

Yes I know it is mixed age.
    I'm going to ask my friend who is a key worker too and has a child at the same school.

4. Biggrizzleybear

Will reply later as I'm only on my break at the moment.

5. Biggrizzleybear

My friend has replied saying that they are playing all day. My children will love this.

She has also said that social distancing within the bubble is not enforced as its impossible with primary aged children as they hug teachers every day etc.

ajrowing likes this.
  6. Biggrizzleybear

Going back to work now so won't be able to reply till later.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Now we are “ back in school” we are teaching. We have mixed age bubbles but have organised most keyworkers into a 2 year bubble so it is possible to actively teach.

idlp56 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Today I will have 10 children in my Y6 critical key worker bubble. The number varies from day to day. We are most definitely working. They are completing exactly the same work as set from home, as is the other keyworker Y6 pod in my school and the other year key worker group pods. Given that my school has, by far, the largest intake of key workers’ children in our city, we can only accommodate our Foundation class. We have been supported by our LA as we are scrupulously following the Govt’s advice in terms of prioritising year groups.
    The criticism we have suffered at the hands of the some of the parents of Y6 pupils who are still learning at home is pretty vile, given that they know our position and many are professionals who should know better.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is more play based activities yes, with lots of free choice.
    But also getting outside and at least mixing (a little) with their peers + being cared for. (Referring to a year 2 child telling me this)

It is a nice service for key workers in my view and the boy above is well happy to bounce off to school in the mornings, even though they were only a handful in yesterday.

ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  10. Biggrizzleybear

It is a nice service yes. In our local school they don't do social distancing (I agree they shouldn't do it in the key worker group) in the key worker group.In our local school children in the key worker group share resources, play together and eat lunch in the dining hall with staff and staff don't try to distance if children try to hug them.

ajrowing and dumpty like this.
  11. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

In my experience, children in school are completing the same work that those not in school are set online.
    In answer to your other post, the year 6s are being encouraged to social distance within their bubbles, but younger children are not. It’s impossible to expect five year olds to do so. Bubbles are being kept apart though.

ajrowing, agathamorse and peter12171 like this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Your school probably has a phone or the internet.

They are the best people to ask.

13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It will depend on the school concerned, but this is what has been happening in my school. It is secondary, so ‘play’ wouldn’t really be suitable(p (although I’m sure some access online games when they can get away with it).

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Ask your children’s school for this information.

15. Biggrizzleybear

I have asked them.

16. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

And?

Laphroig likes this.
  17. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

They have work to do - the same stuff as the home learners. They do not play all day. However, the curriculum has been suspended and we are essentially offering childcare, so it's not going to be lessons in any normal sense. We are keeping them occupied with learning activities but with social distancing it's impossible to help them much.
    No physical contact AT ALL, no shared resources, no meeting of bubbles.

peter12171 likes this.
  18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Why were you contacting your networked friend at around 5 in the morning when they are working days and will, if they exist, have been asleep or preparing for the day ahead?
    Are you actually a journalist trying to get teachers to say that they are letting children play all day and are not bothering with social distancing?

peter12171 and Laphroig like this.
  19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

And why on earth would most people reply at that time?

Laphroig likes this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Perhaps there was a need to demonstrate that they are currently a night worker on a break, soon to be changing shifts and needing to send children to school?