1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key to GCSE success: "It’s the belief that they absolutely can do it..."

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Jan 22, 2020.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

catbefriender, towncryer and Jamvic like this.
  2. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

That's wonderful for him and the pupils. Now, how popular is he with the rest of the department...? :D:p

towncryer and Jamvic like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Lovely. For the guy, the kids & the school. It’s great that he was able to take them through from Y7 to Y11 you don’t hear of that happening much these days.

Also, thanks @BigFrankEM for a good news story devoid of undercurrent or hidden agenda, it’s refreshing.

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

OK two things.

How does it work?
    Is it portable?

catbefriender and Jamvic like this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Large school. Presumably top set. 14% of pupils in Wales get an A*. Probability lesson anyone?

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Incredible result. What a great teacher!

catbefriender likes this.
  8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The school must either not set pupils in maths at all or set them from Y7 if he’s taught them all through secondary. It’s unusual for there to be no movement of pupils in or out of the class over the whole 5 years.

catbefriender likes this.
  9. BigFrankEM

As outlined in the OP strap line, surely.

Given the simplicity/ lack of sophistication involved, the answer appears to be "most certainly so."

10. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

I'd guess that if each teacher was able to teach the same students consistently results would improve. I certainly find that the most important thing is the relationship I develop with the students and so changing classes every year or more often is detrimental.

catbefriender and Jamvic like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I once had a very good top set - 28 kids - got 27 A* and an A

Top kids achieve because they are top kids - not rocket Science.

grumpydogwoman and mothorchid like this.
  12. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

However the school has a catchment area with substantial difficulties, which would often be associated with poor outcomes. This isn't a leafy suburbs grammar school.

Jamvic, catbefriender and TheoGriff like this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Fitzalan school takes 180 pupils per school year. 14% , on average, of Welsh pupils getting the top grade translates to 25 pupils at that school being expected to meet that target.
    Granted, they have achieved 6 months early. Add in a particularly good year group ( my son's at High school had better scores than those of the local Grammar school at Yr7) and the same teacher for 5 years, and above average results are likely.
    I would also guess that in the run-up to the early exams that pupils were allowed to prioritise Maths. Was more of their timetable allocated to Maths? Were teachers of other subjects told to suspend homework tasks for a time?
    The pupils will now not have to spend time on Maths revision in the main exam season and this should lead to better results.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have known a number of pupils who passionately believed they could achieve top grades.
    Experience has shown me that there is more to it than blind self-belief.

MAGAorMIGA and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But surely GCSEs taken on their own don't count;)

ajrowing likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think it's really important to rubbish the achievment in the OP as nowt special and anyone could do it there.

17. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Wonderful result!

What I have noted is that the WJEC spec still has 2 papers and has the formulas sheet. I wish the new 9-1 Spec still had the formulas and reverted back to 2 papers as 3 papers is hard going.

I had a look at the WJEC Higher Tier paper and the questions seemed a lot more straightforward than both the Edexcel and AQA papers I am familiar with but the GCSE content and the level of difficulty was the same.

I wish more schools opted for more student friendly papers, especially for the students in the lower sets.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. BigFrankEM

OK

I'll put you in the "agnostic" column, shall I ?

mothorchid likes this.