1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key texts to have in a reception class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by michelle2006, Jun 24, 2012.

1. We have been told that we should have 15 books in our basic provision reading area. They will have access them to all of the time and will get to know the stories inside out. These are on top of traditional tales. There are thousands of books out there - what would you have on your shelf? I would like really popular ones...
    I have a few that are definites but would like your suggestions for others...

1 - The Gruffalo!
    2 - Don't put your finger in the jelly nelly!
    3 - Whatever Next!
    4 - We're going on a bear hunt
    5 - The Very Hungry Caterpillar...

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Who by?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Let the experts name the 'key texts'. That should be interesting.

4. we have 10 best books in every class from nursery to year 6 which we were advised to have from our early years and literacy consultants from the LA
    in nursery we have
    the gingerbread man
    going on a bear hunt
    Each peach pear plum
    So much
    Monsters
    syliva and the bird
    Bog babies
    mind has gone blank now and can't think of the otehr just now sorry
    Littlestones

5. Sleepyteacher2010

Sleepyteacher2010 New commenter

that is such a good idea! I could do that in Y1!!

6. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

What about 'mum and dad make me laugh' great for patterns

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Personally, I like any well-written story. That's Elmer out for a start. Those books drive me mad. They're written in the most flat and boring prose. Ditto the horrible version of Jack and the Beanstalk that refers to the blood of the 'stinky man' rather than the blood of the Englishman.
    I don't know 'Mum and Dad make me laugh' but I'll look out for it.

8. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

Any story with repetitive refrains are good:

Brown Bear, Brown Bear
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Whatever Next?
    Peace At Last
    So Much
    The Gingerbread Man
    The Three Little Pigs
    The Three Billy Goats Gruff
    Pass the Jam Jim
    We're Going On A Bear Hunt

I memorised We're Going On A Bear Hunt and linked actions to it a la Pie Corbett and shared it with the children this way. Ditto with Brown Bear, Brown Bear. The children absolutely loved it, even the ones who are normally distracted during story time or have trouble accessing language/texts were able to join in with no problem.

9. pinknoodles

pinknoodles Administrator

Have a look at the CLPE website, they recommend some well written books and have lesson plans for them.

10. pinknoodles

pinknoodles Administrator

Have a look at the CLPE website, they recommend some well written books and have lesson plans for them.

My class love little rabbit foo foo, can't you sleep little bear? owl babies, bear hunt, sharing a shell, the list goes on and on!

11. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Simon James's books are lovely, my favourite is Baby Brains. Will you be 'allowed' to swap the books around every term or so, seems like there are too many good ones to limit the children to 15, especially seeing as they will probably already know some of them well from home? Also, have just thought, does this 15 include non fiction texts?

12. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The Tiger Who Came To Tea by Judith Kerr
    Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins
    Hairy Maclary From Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd
    Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
    Mog by Judith Kerr
    The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
    Old Bear by Jane Hissey

13. We have several favourites which have been out and available to the children all year round for them to learn and recite:-
    We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Little Rabbit Foo Foo, Shark in the Park, The Gruffalo, Pants, The Gingerbread Man, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Stick Man, I Love You Blue Kangaroo, A Squash and a Squeeze, The Tiger Who Came to Tea, Monkey Puzzle, Owl Babies, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Three Little Pigs
    The first 6 have been particularly popular with this year's cohort.

14. essc

essc New commenter

yes I've done this and will continue to next year, owl babies, tiger who came to tea, aliens love underpants, rosies walk, we're going on a bear hunt, whatever next, peace at last, where the wild things are, handas surprise, owl babies, six dinner sid, shark in the park, and also the traditional tales.
    I focus on one text a week so lots of repitition and differentactivities linked to the story.

15. We have 15 core books in each class each year and we're allowed to change them if we want to. We also have 50 books from the school library in each class...stories, info books, poetry books etc etc that we change each term.

16. Little Rabbit Foo Foo - how have I missed this?!

17. at our school library we are going through 12,000 books this summer to prepare for classes in the Fall. I've found so many good titles for each stage of our school. It's so hard to limit it to only 15 titles. There are so many very well written repetitive, poetic stories out there. Loved reading everyone's lists! I'll look them up and see if we got them in the boxes I'm unpacking. Two little boys in primary love short sing-songs with numbers and have taught all the English additional Language kids there song. Poetry, books, music brighten up the classroom.

18. Hi Michelle, I would highly recommend to you 'Where is the green sheep?' by Mem Fox. Great for teaching concepts/opposites/colours. Students can easily innovate on the text & love making other coloured sheep. Students are very quickly able to read the whole book. You can get the board book & a small green sheep as a set." It's a must have" ! Helene in South Australia
    ps Mem Fox is a well known Ausralian author who has written numerous wonderful books for chn.

19. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

I love this book and so has every child I've ever read it to [​IMG]