1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage Two National Curriculum Tests May 2013 (SATs 2013)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiggermet, May 12, 2013.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

my lower ability children found it quite odd, the missing number question was in shapes, the co-ordinate question threw them as did the symmetry one. Several of my higher ability had finished in 20 minutes and one fell asleep!

2. Completely agree! I found it very 'wordy' and lots of questions taken out of context. I didn't like the paper at all- really worried about tomorrow now!!

3. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Glad I'm not the only one!

4. I thought the Maths A paper was tricky. My kids said they thought it was Ok. I didn't like the coordinates question. More difficult in general than last year. Wonder what thresholds will be.

5. luv2teach6

luv2teach6 New commenter

And there was me thinking I was the only one too! It was far too wordy for a Maths test. We are supposed to be testing their mathematical ability, not their reading comprehension. Definitely the most wordy and unfair test (especially for EAL pupils) that I have ever seen.

6. tange

tange New commenter

I agree too Captain Oats. Some children slipped up because they struggled to read the lengthy/wordy questions. I am concerned that my low level 4 children might not make the grade.

7. The spinner question threw mine as they didn't realise they could use the same numbers more than once.

8. I thought Paper A was hard, mental maths was an easy one.

What did people think of the Level 6 paper A ? I thought it wasn't too bad at all.

9. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I thought they have to do both level 6 Maths tomorrow afternoon??

10. Was just about to say - I panicked then. My two level 6 children are doing both tomorrow!

11. I also though that both level 6 papers are tomorrow! Thought the 3-5 maths was wordy and they had to do a lot for some of the 1 mark questions. 4 answers for 1 mark with the coins one! I'm sure that in previous years that would have been worth 2 marks!

12. sparklyflipflops

sparklyflipflops New commenter

Level 6 papers are tomorrow. Not sure why L6 Paper A was mentioned on here!

13. lot80

lot80 New commenter

I'm sure level 6 papers are tomorrow, well mine are!

14. Level 6 Maths Papers definitely tomorrow afternoon!!

Reading Comp was long but not too difficult. 34 one mark questions meant some children struggled with the timing.

MM was easy and Paper A reminded me of last year's paper: questions not really in the right order, from easier to harder. Some very wordy questions. The trick was to understand the questions not to do the Maths. Not easy for my EAL children. All in all the paper wasn't too bad, which if it is a repeat of last year, means that Paper B is a lot more difficult.

Will remind my children not to get discouraged if tomorrow's paper is tough.

15. sparklyflipflops

sparklyflipflops New commenter

Slightly concerned at the person on here claiming to have already done Level 6 Paper A and would advise not to answer the question about what is on it! It doesn't matter what school you are, you are not allowed to open the papers until tomorrow. There is a set date and opening the day before is not allowed. Your 'timetabling' person may up in a but of trouble of you say any more.

16. goingtoofast

goingtoofast New commenter

Mine put in negative numbers so not sure what the mark scheme will make of that!

17. I was joking, sorry if it appeared that I was trying to gain an unfair advantage! REALLY wasn't expecting an answer.

18. I have no intention of answering that question. I am an NQT and so have no experience of administering SATS, and as those I work with are far more experienced than I I had no reason to question the scheduling of the tests.

19. Yes I think that one of mine put in negative numbers too and wondered if that would be accepted.