1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage Two National Curriculum Tests May 2013 (SATs 2013)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiggermet, May 12, 2013.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The Level 6 short answer booklet and the spelling test weren't much harder than the 3-5 paper.

I'm not really sure about the extended writing task as I've no idea what they're looking for.

All depends on how they mark the writing task and what the weighting is.

2. I am sure it will be published somewhere.

3. That has been the big argument about it being pointless this year - I have been led to believe it will be on data dashboard and is mainly being used as a pilot.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Level 6

Short, extended task: An extended response to a writing prompt through which children are able to demonstrate precision, choice and accuracy of punctuation, syntax and vocabulary when writing

30 minutes SSP 6 marks, TSO 4 marks, AV 4 marks Total 14 marks

Grammar, punctuation and vocabulary: Short answer questions (selected and constructed response)

presented in order of difficulty 20 minutes 21 marks

Spelling: 15 sentences from which targeted spelling words have been left out

Around 10 minutes (not strictly timed) 15 marks

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Not very clear but basically writing is 14 marks, grammar is 21 marks and spelling is 15 marks. But obviously, we have no idea what the thresholds will be.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

"The outcome of the test will provide information about children’s performance. However, this

test will not produce a National Curriculum level. Although drawn largely from En3: writing,

the test does not cover fully those aspects of compositional writing that are subject to teacher

assessment, therefore a level cannot be awarded for the full attainment target. Further, test

content has been drawn from three English attainment targets and therefore test outcomes

will be reported as indicative of children working at a National Curriculum level only"

So basically, we won't get a level, only an indicative!.

7. The SPAG Test will not be used to level the writing this year as far as I am aware.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Writing is based solely on teacher assessment. The SPAG results will not be reported on in Raise this year, nor published but level 6 results will and will be used to measure progress from Year 2 results.

10. My first year teaching Year 6 & I'm sure my kids will be pleased to find out all their stress & worry over the 'SPAG' test will not count for anything & they may not even be given a level! What a great message to send about the exam system.

On another note; was good to see that other teachers felt the same way about the reading test as me & my colleagues! Reading booklet appeared fun & accessible...then we opened the answer booklet! Poor kids. Let's hope the L4 threshold is reasonable!

Good luck with the maths everyone!

11. We've been told that the SPAG will count towards RaiseOnline data and that the result will be reported to us but not published and we can report it to parents if we want. Test today was fair I thought with no fiendish traps, unlike yesterday. How long before there's an 'optional' QCA grammar test for Y3, 4 and 5 though? And of course I look forward to allthis extra SPAG knowledge contributing towards a stratospheric rise in Writing levels in the school with children keen to point out to me all their additional adverbial clauses and subject/verb agreements.....

12. Today's test was just as expected, our children did very well, but has it improved their skills in writing? I'm not so sure. I was frustrated with the application of the grammar in the writing element of level 6 test. Our children created fantastic engaging texts but the focus was more about varied sentence, punctuation vocabulary and I'm unsure if they actually applied that - they seemed to be more concerned with composition and effect; and actually I'm struggling to see how this can be judged. A boring text with certain subordinating connectives and structures could be marked better than an engaging text - How can this be right?

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Quite agree. It also makes me wonder whether this will end up featuring on the 3-5 test and hey presto, a writing test has been shoe-horned back into the NCTs.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Maths initial thoughts:

Test A - fair

MM - quite easy, I felt

The children were very upbeat afterwards, on the whole. I think my 3/4 borderlines will have done well so far.

15. When are the 2013 SATS papers downloaded on the net? Is there a restriction on them being in the public domain until the results are out?

Also, a preposition and a connective are not the same, do you remember the question MRSH86?

16. I agree, Nick909 . . .I thought the maths tests today were very fair; I just hope it doesn't mean stinkers tomorrow![​IMG]

17. I feel the maths was quite fair today however I feel tomorrow it may be tricker.

However I do think they tested the more difficult concepts in a good way today.

Happy with the mental maths and it kicked started the children in a positive way.

Hope everyone is going ok

18. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Oh no, am worrying now that others have said Paper A was fair.

I have a lower ability group and I think some of them were really thrown by the way the co-ordinates and symmetry questions were presented.

Having these so early on will have destroyed their confidence as it was nothing like they had ever seen before (similar to the diagram in question 6)

Mental Maths seemed ok though and one girl said she thought it was easier than the practices we did so there's something.

Dreading tomorrow now...

19. Captain oats . . . the 3d shape/ co ordinates question WAS a meany . . . I'd forgotten about that one.

20. Most of mine thought it was quite easy today and seemed very pleased with what they'd done. This probably means tomorrow will be really hard, or the thresholds will be raised! Fingers crossed for another good one tomorrow.