1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage Two National Curriculum Tests May 2013 (SATs 2013)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiggermet, May 12, 2013.

1. Mine all quite enjoyed it and they seemed to do well but hopefully the level 5 threshold isn't too high as I have some who I think will be borderline level 4/5. They are strangely excited about the grammar test tomorrow!

2. Our Level 5 children did seem to enjoy it, but all said tougher than any other reading test they had completed previously. Many were working right up to the last minute and these are particularly bright children.

I do feel for teachers with less able - or many borderline 3/4's- I have a feeling that this has been done for the 'only a good level 4 is good enough' -

Why are primary teachers then tasked to improve attainment to 'good 4's' with the failure of our secondary system to convert 4c's to 5 GCSE 'A-C'- I don't know; but that's another debate entirely!

3. weesteve

weesteve New commenter

Thank God everyone else had the same experience as me. Felt quite depressed looking over the shoulders of some of ours, especially as they had done well in past papers. Some of the questions were deliberately written to trip up the children, and some were pedantic to the extreme. I expect we can look forward to a steady SATs diet of Kipling, Dickens, et al over the next couple of years.

Hope the thresholds reflect the difficulty of the test, though it has always seemed slightly odd that each year the goalposts are moved ever so slightly one way or the other along some kind of distribution curve. As a lot of you have commented, the L3/4 threshold needs to be generous this year.

4. Fingers crossed for 17? Maybe 18?

5. Agree with everything said already. Level 5s got bogged down and consequently some did not finish and many of the one mark questions required a lot of thought. Not enough straightforward retrieval questions to build a bit of confidence in the less able readers. The booklet looked very appealing and we thought - initially - that it was a good test, but now I'm not so sure...

6. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

One of my more able children left the first double page entirely blank (doh!). I also put a child in for the L6 test who read the booklet from cover to cover then refused to answer a single question!! mmmmm.

7. I thought the short spag test was ok, fairly straight forward but the spelling was quite tricky. Did anyone else's L5/6 spot the grammatical error in the test and correct it?!

8. I agree with comments above about the reading - some of our borderline 3/4 really stuggled with the Jungle Book extract. Most of mine seemed to fine the SPAG ok - I was worried about the amount of questions vs time but all seemed to cope. Fingers crossed for the maths !

9. What was it? I can't spot one!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Already posted about the SPAG in the other thread but will repeat here.

Interesting to see the word 'vocabulary' jammed into the administrator's spiel at the start of the test.

I still maintain that vocabulary shouldn't be tested in this as it's a reading and writing skill and neither grammar nor punctuation.

The grammar and punctuation test was fair and quite easy, I thought. Most of mine did very well. Of course, the threshold could well still bite us on the backsides but we'll wait and see.

The spelling was less kind. A bit of a class divide thing going on, I think. There were words that many Y6 children would never use. I won't reveal the words in case some schools are sitting them this afternoon but the one put in context with 'appetite' was preposterous, as indeed was the contextual sentence. Given that most of my children didn't know what it meant, I'd question why they'd be tested on its spelling.

11. Apparently, (I need to go back and check) there was a , missing to mark a clause in one of the questions.

12. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

Great to see that 'inverted commas' were used to denote speech today, as opposed to yesterday, when they were used to denote text that has irony attached to it. (ie, just like how I used them around the phrase 'inverted commas' - there I go again).Well done DFE! The speech mark/inverted comma rumpus rolls on.

Classy moment in the spell test as well - fancy making us read out about naughty pupils being sent out of a room! Unbelievable!

13. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

There was one in the spell test as well. Make's you pedantic, this job!

14. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

does anyone have any idea what the thresholds will be for the grammar tests? both the level 3-5 and 6 papers?

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No-one knows yet - not even the STA.

I suspect the thresholds will be quite high. Many of mine got close to 100% in both the 3-5 and L6 tests. Then they'll lower them next year, ready for the next general election. Ho hum.

16. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Mine found the grammar test very easy today. 2 of my brightest finished it in less than 20 minutes, and when I glanced over their shoulders as they were checking they had got everything right.

I just wish I had entered some for the level 6 paper. The only reason we didn't is that we didn't think we had enough time to teach the things covered on the 3-5 paper and the 6 paper as well. Oh well.

Maths tomorrow - which I am dreading! My group will no doubt forget EVERYTHING I have taught them.

17. There is no thresholds being issued for the SPAG it does not count towards anything

18. Mine seemed to find the SPaG test quite easy today too. I agree that some of the spellings were difficult, especially for the LA children.

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I believe it will feature on your RAISEonline data.

I might be wrong but my impression was that the children will be given levels but they won't feature on the schools headline data for results.

If this is the case then surely they'll have to issue thresholds.

If none of the above is true then there was absolutely no point in doing them.

20. I was told that it will appear on the RAISE too, but that it wouldn't count towards the reading/writing levels.