1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage Two National Curriculum Tests May 2013 (SATs 2013)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiggermet, May 12, 2013.

1. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I agree with what everyone else has said. Was really pleased at first glance. The circle the words questions where more inference heavy than retrieval this made the so much harder. Mine spent ages looking for the words in the text.

2. I agree with what has been said. At first glance the booklet looked very promising and much more interesting than previous years 'caving' 'rain'... but on closer inspection the Rudyard Kipling exert was too hard and unfortunately it accounted for too many marks. In fairness my children did say they enjoyed it more than previous papers.

What was the level 6 paper based on? We didn't sit any this year.

3. I also thought that the Kipling section had too many questions based around it. I could see a lot of children stuck on the multiple choice questions for a while as a lot of inference was involved. This test wasn't a good one for the borderline 3/4s.

4. The text was pleasing, both in amount and access level. However, the answer booklet just seemed to be designed to trip up the children and those with good 'exam technique' (such as those who've been brain-washed in 11+ tutoring) were at a distinct advantage.

The level 6 seemed fairer than last year but what a boring text. Seemed to be a part political broadcast about 'being determined to achieve in sport'. If they were to be inspired by this then when would they have time for the 11+ tutoring?

I'm not one to harp on about SAT's; there is a need for accountability; but is this really the best and fairest way to assess our 10 and 11 year olds?

5. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

"unfortunately one child was confused about how to give their date of birth with day, month, year as they didn't know which day of the week they were born on. and having drilled into them to leave no box unanswered!"

So glad to read this......my lowest ability child also struggled with 'day' of birth date......worried over it for what seemed like ages then wrote 'Wednesday!' until I announced to whole room it obviously meant the number day......

Oh god....

6. Was also fooled into a sense of positivity when first saw the reading booklet. The questions, however, were so vague. Many of my class didn't finish. The children who sat the Level 6 test felt that was easier than the L3-5 one. Just hope they've managed to scrape a Level 5 so the Level 6 will count. Saw the classic - children adeptly underlining words and phrases in the reading booklet, not aware it needed to be underlined in the answer booklet?

7. I agree with the general consensus on here. Great booklet to look at and read (a world away from Great Plague) but the answer booklet seemed to have too many questions - not enough of which were straightforward. My borderline 3/4s have done really well in recent practice papers but they came unstuck today. Hopefully the threshold will be slashed dramatically. Doubt it.

8. I felt the same - thought that the answer booklet was easy at first glance, then realised that many of the 1/2 marks were really challenging! Not looking forward to the SPAG tomorrow based on Gove's proposals!

9. After today, I'm hoping for 16 marks to achieve a 4C! - what a time consuming paper!!

10. A few of my level 5s predictions didn't finish the paper and worried about the possible level 4s achieving a 4.

11. KnT

KnT

My first year in year 6, been looking for a thread to find out what others thought of today's test - so pleased I wasn't the only one who thought it was hard. Loved the idea of the wolf topic but what a lot of tricky time consuming questions. Don't think my lot will have done as well on this one as they have on their practice ones. Oh well - roll on tomorrow!!

12. KnT it's my first year in six too, what a hard paper!

13. NIXIEH

NIXIEH New commenter

Can I ask if there's a reason why spelling needs to be done after the SPAG test? We had planned on doing spelling first for practical reasons but I think I read somewhere that spelling is done afterwards.

14. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Dont think there is a reason just an instruction. The test administrators guide states they have to be done in the order short answers then spelling

15. I asked the children to go home and ask their parents how to spell their middle name, as there were some very dodgy spellings of names. I couldn't believe how many couldn't spell their own names! One didn't even know how to spell his first name as he's always called by a shortened version of his name. Oh dear. I thought the questions were tough, mush harder than last year. I liked the reading, although I thought Jungle Book was quite tricky for LA children. I couldn't answer one of the questions!! Let's hope the thresholds are kind.

16. I asked the children to go home and ask their parents how to spell their middle name, as there were some very dodgy spellings of names. I couldn't believe how many couldn't spell their own names! One didn't even know how to spell his first name as he's always called by a shortened version of his name. Oh dear. I thought the questions were tough, much harder than last year. I liked the reading, although I thought Jungle Book was quite tricky for LA children. I couldn't answer one of the questions!! Let's hope the thresholds are kind.

17. I thought the test wasnt too bad...I struggled to find 3 answers to one of the 3 part questions myself...There were too many 1 mark questions that needed 3 or 4 answers to get the mark..My children arent looking forward to the SPAG test tomorrow at all...

18. rek45

rek45 New commenter

Totally agree with everything I've read on here.

Don't know whether that makes me feel better or thoroughly depressed!

19. LGR22- I agree there was one question I got stuck on and some very ambiguous ones. I had one of my borderlines give up. I also know of an ASD child in my friend's school who refused to do the paper because some of the choices on the multiple choice part were just plain stupid and pointless. His reasoning...If someone was so stupid to come up with these questions, I'm not going to be stupid enough to do them... I hope the thresholds show the difficulty of the paper.

20. Mine all quite enjoyed it and they seemed to do well but hopefully the level 5 threshold isn't too high as I have some who I think will be borderline level 4/5. They are strangely excited about the grammar test tomorrow!