1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage Two National Curriculum Tests May 2013 (SATs 2013)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiggermet, May 12, 2013.

1. Well in true “Ronan” style I would like to start the traditional thread which records all our thoughts and experiences about the National Curriculum Tests for 2013 (hope this keeps Markuss happy!) in ONE place so that we can catch up, remind ourselves that we are only human…and share the pain!

Please keep 'upping' the thread so that it stays on page 1 - You know how hard it is to follow things sometimes as the threads move so quickly!

Good luck to everyone and let us hope that this week gives all of our children the chance to shine!

2. Yes - Good luck to all

Thankfully it's not going to be blisteringly hot next week... That should help a little.

PM

3. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I'm going to miss the whole 'what will the writing task be' conversation this year since they have scrapped it. The grammar test is not only boring to teach and boring to test, it's also boring for us to make crazy predictions!!

4. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Fun to guess the hot topic for reading, after last years plague maybe Gove's curriculum review will kick in early with some classic literature and the glorious revolution

5. NIXIEH

NIXIEH New commenter

On the subject of the Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar Test (note the deliberate avoidance of the apparently offensive term SPAG)is it true that children should be using 2B pencil or black pen as mentioned on another thread? I have read through the whole of the reporting arrangements PDF and it doesn't mention that anywhere. My children all normally use blue pen so would hate them to be at any sort of disadvantage after all the tedious hours spent on grammar revision this year!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The level 6 paper definitely has to be 2B pencil or black pen-it is scanned before marking. Will check the 3-5 paper!

7. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

States in the test administrators guide. Black pen or 2b pencil for SPaG and level6 tests as they are scanned and marked on screen

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

9. Pg 29 of the Assessment and Reporting Arrangements says: "The English grammar, punctuation and spelling tests are scanned and marked on screen; STA recommends that children...complete their scripts using a black pen or 2B pencil so that markers are able to read their answers." [I know I'm sad; I bought it home to read to make sure I hadn't missed anything. First year of being responsible for SAts].

I'm assuming that if you don't, then the poor marker will have to look at the paper copy or refer the marking back to someone else.

I had my bursar tracking down 2B pencils Friday. Thankfully she has found enough, they should arrive tomorrow.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm making mine complete it in pencil first and then they can go over in pen if they have the time! Most of them finish the L3-5 paper in about 15 mins and spend the rest of the time doodling! The L6 paper does take a little while longer!

11. NIXIEH

NIXIEH New commenter

Ooh thanks everyone, still confused because it says nothing on p29 of the test administrators guide I have (same as one posted by CarrieV) but I already have some 2b pencils for the level 6 tests and I will get some black pens sorted for tues to use just in case. Wish I had checked this earlier as lots of mine have particular blue pens they use all the time in their writing!

ignore that I have just realised I was looking at the test administrators guide not the access and reporting arrangements which indeed does mention it.

http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/statutory/g00213221/2013-assessment-and-reporting-ks2

12. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Good luck everyone. Here's hoping for a calm week with no wet playtimes.

13. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

We were excited to see the title of the L3-5 Reading test booklet, then dismayed to find all the difficult, time-consuming questions in the middle, with some easy ones at the end. That caught at least one of our children out, despite our efforts to remind them to do all the tick box style questions first.

14. poet

poet New commenter

Hmmm. Initially I was quite happy and thought it would be something familiar to the children but wow, the j.book section was a MASSIVE amount of marks and a really chunky bit of time. Lots of my borderline children struggled with it. Thought some questions were ambigious too. Overall quite a tough one for my lot.

15. I thought it was really hard and not a lot to test the level 3/low level 4 children....

16. pantobabe

pantobabe New commenter

My children all really stuggled with this test today. Like many of you, we looked at the booklet quickly and thought 'great something to interest the boys' but as I started to read the Jungle Book extract and all its classic Goveanism I know my kids would stuggle. The amount of marks for this section was a lot, which is good for your higher level kids, but not so much for the borderline kids. Teaching in a deprived inner city school with many EAL pupils, its been hard enough to get them to talk and understand standard english without trying to teach them classical language also. Feel many of my borderline 3/4's will not have done well. Hey ho, should have expected something of the like. On the flipside, the Level 6 reading booklet seemed nice and straightforward. Some beastly questions in the answer booklet though! Onwards to the grammar tomorrow!

17. The children really enjoyed doing the paper, which was a good start. On the whole I thought it was a good paper.The three mark questions seemed easier than in previous years. However the level six paper was horrible: harder than last year's paper I thought.

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I had one in tears over the same thing!

It was just so long, many of mine got stuck half way and even one of my higher level 5's didn't finish!

Oh well, SPAG tomorrow

19. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Breathing many sighs of relief as I read this. I now know mine weren't the only ones that struggled. A lot of mine got stuck on the jungle book questions and 5 didn't finish the paper. 2 only need level 3s so not as worried about them. I just hope everyone else got a 4!

Had 3 doing the level 6 paper in the afternoon - they said it was easier than the practice they did last week (which was last year's paper)