1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage Two National Curriculum Tests May 2011 (SATs 2011)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiggermet, May 8, 2011.

1. Well in true “Ronan” style I would like to start the
    traditional thread which records all our thoughts and experiences about the
    National Curriculum Tests (hope this keeps Markuss happy!) in ONE place so that
    we can catch up, remind ourselves that we are only human…and share the pain!
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>

Please keep 'upping' the thread so that it stays on page 1 -
    You know how hard it is to follow things sometimes as the threads move so
    quickly!

Good luck, everyone and let us hope that this week gives all of our children
    the chance to shine!

2. Sorry, the last line should have been:
    Good luck everyone and let us hope that this week gives all of our children the chance to shine!

3. Up we go!

4. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

reading today, hope there isn't too much text on the page. last year's paper we did last week as a mock and too much text made my 2 dyslexic children give up half way through the midas story.
    something interesting would be nice too

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

First glance seems better than last year!

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Well, although I thought last year's was pretty good, the first glance at this looks nice as well!

Let's hope the children agree.

7. Fingers crossed!!! I will be going into school to have a nose later (part timer lol!)
    What was the reading about?

8. baconbutty

baconbutty New commenter

What? No fiction? Where was the nice short story and perhaps a poem to show how rounded the children are?

9. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

please take care and dont post specifics. not every school will do test straight away, remember they can be done at any time during the school day and i know a school who starts the reading after lunch

10. We completed the test this morning and I thought, without going into too much detail, that there was a lot of reading for the kids to do. The questions were fine, a lot of those 'other' types of questions, ticking, circling, joining boxes, etc. It was all non-fiction, which was interesting. Some might say it was a good thing! :)))) No poetry to interpret! :))))
    What did everyone else think?

11. Sooo far removed from the experiences and knowledge of my kids.
    Lots of 'other' types of questions and some very straightforward information retrieval, but a lot of words; mine found it difficult.

12. Lots of mine failed to complete the paper, over thinking maybe, a lot of other types of questions. And very few didn't answer the 'What was she thinking?' thought bubbles correctly.

A lot of 1 pointers I thought.

13. sambrose

sambrose New commenter

Invigilated a sub-set of children 6 of whom failed to finish and 2 who were 'finished' 20 minutes before the end!!! On the whole though it looked much better than previous papers and bordered on the basic at times.

14. poet

poet New commenter

I teach the lowest set and they found it really tricky. They actually do pretty well with the three mark questions and often claw back 1/2 marks so for there not to be many was a bit of a bummer. On the whole ok.
    Now writing.... will it be linked?.... who can tell...[​IMG]

15. poet

poet New commenter

Oh I don't know how I managed to put a storm cloud over my predictions... that's ominous!

16. I feel a bit like that!
    My lower ability children really struggled to get through all the questions.

17. padavid10

padavid10 New commenter

I found the whole paper far too long to get through and had to hurry children up after 10 minutes when they were clearly not going to finish.
    Also it had zero relevance for my South London, never seen a cave before in their life children.

18. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Hated it! Thought the text was far too difficult for 10-11 year old children- a lot of the vocabulary was way beyond them. Agree about zero relevance, no fiction at all and thought the whole thing was boring snoring (as the kids would say!)

19. louisebez

louisebez New commenter

Out of 12 I had in my class, only 3 managed to finish the paper - there were far too many thought bubbles for them to complete, which most didn't do correctly either. Overall not as good as we had hoped. Any ideas/guesses what the writing is going to be?

20. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It was a long paper but I don't think it was hard. There were a few that didn't finish though because they had to look back through the booklet a lot more than usual.