1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage One SATS question - Writing and Reading Tests

Discussion in 'Primary' started by raebarton, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Just been looking at the tests and I think I want to do the 2007 writing and the 2009 reading, is this allowed or do you have to do all the english from the same year?
    Dont really like the non-chronological report for 2009 and prefer the 2009 reading??
    Any ideas??

2. Just been looking at the tests and I think I want to do the 2007 writing and the 2009 reading, is this allowed or do you have to do all the english from the same year?
    Dont really like the non-chronological report for 2009 and prefer the 2009 reading??
    Any ideas??

3. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

From http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_19566.aspx
    Teachers may choose to administer the 2007 tests to some children in the class and 2009 tests to others. However, teachers must ensure that for the writing tasks, the longer and shorter tasks and spelling test are from the same year.
    Although haven't you already ordered the tests by now? Not meaning to sound rude(!) because this is the first year I have been in Year 2 and I am still puzzling it out, but we had to decide and send our orders for test papers a few months ago, and they arrived weeks ago.

This is part of the timetable from the website:
    <table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"><tr><td>10 October 2008</td><td>
    • Schools must have ordered tasks and tests (including modified materials)
      - maintained schools will have from 9 September to 10 October
      - independent schools will have from 25 September to 24 October.
    </td></tr><tr><td>Late January or early February 2009</td><td>
    • Schools receive their task and test orders and check their delivery is correct.
    </td></tr></table>

Or have you ordered both already?

4. Yeah have already ordered them and got them ages ago.
    I've done the 2007 reading before and found the kids didn't perform very well on the non-fiction reading comprehension, can't remember why though! 2009 reading is much more interesting - crocodiles!!
    Dont really like the 2009 writing - character description is ok but report is a little boring! Think i'll go with 2009 reading and 2007 writing if that is ok?????????

5. I have just done the Night-time report with my year 2's. We began with an information sharing session regarding what the children knew, then set homework to find out some more about it. We then looked at a different aspect everyday for a week (jobs people do, physical changes to the environment, nocturnal animals etc) The children took part in role-play, small world play, speaking and listening activities, and storyboarding type activities in preparation.
    The children have produced some excellent work for this SAT task. Just dont be afraid to make it interesting.

6. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

hopkinsbeech- your ideas for this topic sound great. Could I be cheeky and ask you for a copy of your planning on this topic as this is something I want to do after Easter.
    Thanks
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

7. Any chance I could too? Those ideas could just inspire my girls who love to write stories into writing non-fiction just as well!
    Thanks
    rae.rae@talk21.com

8. Hi,
    Your ideas for this task sound really interesting and exciting. As an NQT, I am finding it difficult to come up with ideas that will provide enough stimulus for my children but at the same time remain exciting and engaging.
    For this reason could I also be cheeky and ask for a copy of your plans please? It would help me a great deal!
    My e-mail address is nikkibailey_2000@yahoo.co.uk.
    Thanks

9. Hi there,

I am an NQT in Year 2 and would really appreciate any ideas to get these kids ready for the SATS, could I be really cheeky as well and ask for a copy of your planning please??

Any help is appreciated!

Mary
    marymary_310@hotmail.com

10. Hi there,

I am an NQT in year 2 and would really appreciate any help in getting these kids ready for the SATS, could I be cheeky as well and ask for a copy of your plans please??

Thank you! any help is appreciated,
    Mary
    marymary_310@hotmail.com

11. I wonder if it would be possible to get a copy of your planning? I think your ideas sound fantastic and I will definitely be using some of them!!!
    My email is tobikomu@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you so much!!!

12. Hi, liked some of your ideas. Really been struggling on how to go about teaching the children about the topic of night-time animals. My first time in year 2. Could I really be cheeky & ask for a copy of your planning? Have you got anything on teaching character descriptions? My e-mail add is nisha.p@btinternet.com. Thanks.

13. Wow your ideas sound great is there any chance I could have a copy of your plans too. I have been teaching year 2 for several years but have a very tricky class this year with lots of EAL children and have been scratching my head over what to do. My email address is teresa@maypole-house.co.uk
    Thank you in anticipation Treezle

14. super ideas to get the children motivated for the SATs task - would you mind sharing your plans?
    many thanks!
    anniesophie

15. ooops-forget to give you my email!
    anniesophie
    annetteheylings@hotmail.com

16. Hi
    your ideas sound really good. Could i be cheek as well and ask for a copy of your plans.
    steph7983@hotmail.com

17. Hi

Just been reading through the SATs paper for the first time and wondered if I could look over your plans for inspiration? I'm new to year two and both the head and I were under the impression only minimal input should be given just before the test.

18. Great, another useful discussion ruined by 'please give me your plans'...

19. please can i have a copy of your planning as i'm still undecided whic way to go after easter!!

jennyberry13@hotmail.com