1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key stage 5 termly review

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chriszwinter1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Ofsted inspectors don't require lesson plans. Why should anybody have to produce them?

2. so why do we all do lesson plans then Siegen?

Is this for a PMR observation? If so, then i would expect to see a LP!

3. chriszwinter1

There's a difference between lesson planning and producing a lesson plan.

4. Well that has stoked a fire !

It was / Is a review. It was not a PMR -but as an area of review the expectation is that LP's are reviewed and all staff have produced them. The senior member knew this. She verbalised that she had planned a revision lesson on a topic (no lesson plan) then got to the lesson and the students wanted to revise a different topic - so she was 'winging it' in front of a SIP. If this had been a regular teacher they would have been crucified. I do not like the double standards. I feel a teacher would have been given a 4 with no LP. But, i have been advised that the Lesson she 'winged' would have been a good lesson. I disagree and wanted to know whether anyone had experienced anything similar.

5. chriszwinter1

Your senior member of has set a precedent. Does a lesson's grading depend on the existence of a lesson plan and then on the adherence to it, or does it depend on the learning that actually took place?

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I wrote an essay for a course recently: I got full marks on the essay, but only 4 out of 5 for the plan, as it wasn't sufficiently detailed.
    If the lesson was good, does it really matter that much? And do we really want to get to a position where, when students ask to revise a particular topic, they're told "no, because I haven't written a lesson plan for that", even when the teacher could happily wing it.

7. Did inadequate learning take place? Lesson plans are for students or the inexperienced, the stupifyingly corperate or the inadequate. Are you jealous cos its something you couldn't do?

8. chriszwinter1

And if sticking to the lesson plan means that no learning took place, then the operation was a success but the patient died.

9. Thank you so much for your informative feedback, I am simply frustrated by the double standards it appears that middle managers and above do not have to 'play' by the same rules (that they set) as 'teachers'.

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

In such a situation I would look to rewriting the "rules".
    What is big deal about lesson plans? I haven't used one since the early days of my teaching practice 15 years ago.

11. chriszwinter1

I sympathise with your frustration and agree that there are double standards, especialy those who consider themselves to be good teachers. One of the most infuriating and insulting lesson observations I underwent was from an AP (13 years younger than me) who in the feedback kept prattling on about "An Ofsted inspector would say this and Ofsted would say that." She'd never been through an Ofsted inspection, while I'd been through three of them. During my fourth Ofsted inspection, the inspector said he cared only about the planning, not the plan - hence my original distinction.