1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 4 to 5 Transition

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by miffy2007, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hello Everyone,
    As we near the end of the AS year, I was wondering how your students have settled in and 'transitioned' (if at all)?
    Do you think your students were fully prepared at Key Stage 4 for life and study at Key Stage 5?
    What do you do within your school/college/subject to help students to transition?
    We have classes that still don't seem to have realised that they need to work harder than last year and even hand in work on time - is this a common phenomena? [​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts! [​IMG]

2. My thoughts:

Phenomena is the plural of phenomenon - so your last statement makes absolutely no sense.

Surely you would helpyour students transit, not help your students to transition?

I think it is no wonder your students struggle.

3. I'm sure there was a space when I posted!!

4. I never expected a response such as this to a genuine enquiry.

Charming.

5. Grief! Charming indeed!

We have decided to meet this hed on next year. IMO it is those students with the highest achievement at GCSE, or public schooled students, who find the transition into independent learning most difficult (as a group).

I used to teach at a rural Hell High and they all came to me with C/D at GCSE and all left with A - C at A2 (or were culled at AS).

Now I am in a more selective FE college I know I will lose my 100% pass rate at A - C in A2. And probably will do year on year!

The less able students know they must change their learning strategies and are more inclined to listen to me - a complete stranger - very quickly. A* bunnies tend to hold to their dearest teachers of the last 5 years and do not lose their scepticism until it is almost too late. Now we don't have a January exam I can't even use that as a scare tactic (ie they fail in Jan and work harder for May).

Don't know how we wll address it, but we will try hard!

6. Thanks for raising this issue I have been trying to research this question for my research project and I am struggling to find info on the transition into key stage 5
    all offers of help greatly recieved

7. I'm currently including a huge amount of study skills in my sow to try & combat the cut & pasters and to look at the lack of understanding students get from reading. Also doing maths regularly so students are confident at uni interviews next year. Most of my students go on to do nursing or midwifery.

8. I've just been passed this document:
    How can technology be used to improve the learner experience at points of transition? Ruth Lefever and Becka Currant, University of Bradford, Feb 2010

Although it's technology based it might be able to help. I only have a paper copy but you should be able to find it on the web

9. Looks a useful document :)
    I agree with the comments above - it is usually the A-C grade students who struggle with KS5 initially... Has anyone got any other strategies that they use to help with transitions? We had an early (in the year) evening for parents to come along and listen to subject teachers explain what the expectations / requirements of KS 5 are.....

10. Agree, totally unnecessary