1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key stage 4 poetry obs

Discussion in 'English' started by BiltonStilton, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hello community,
    I have an upcoming obs with a set 5 (of 6) year 10 class based on The Laboratory by Robert Browning. We are currently studying the poem for CA. So far we have looked at poetic devices, the overall meaning of the ideas in the poem and a brief comparison of the persona and Lady Macbeth.
    My overall LO is linked to the students being able to make perceptive interpretations of key phrases/evidence from the poem and the impact this has upon the reader.
    However, i am stumped for inventive ideas - this is a class that needs short 15 minute activities.
    Any help would be greatly received ;-)
    BiltonStilton

2. Hello community,
    I have an upcoming obs with a set 5 (of 6) year 10 class based on The Laboratory by Robert Browning. We are currently studying the poem for CA. So far we have looked at poetic devices, the overall meaning of the ideas in the poem and a brief comparison of the persona and Lady Macbeth.
    My overall LO is linked to the students being able to make perceptive interpretations of key phrases/evidence from the poem and the impact this has upon the reader.
    However, i am stumped for inventive ideas - this is a class that needs short 15 minute activities.
    Any help would be greatly received ;-)
    BiltonStilton

3. You could give the students a range of words that offer interpretations of the speaker. Distribute a mat with a red circle in the middle, orange for the inner and blue for cold. In groups they have to place the words on the may according to which one they agree with.
    Alternatively you could challenge the students to sum up their interpretation of the speaker with one word for each letter of the alphabet followed by discussion to justify ideas.
    Or pass the parcel with words from the poem

4. Thanks - it went well!

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

Glad your observation went well, Mr Stilton!
    Rach, this sounds interesting - would you care to elaborate on how it works?