1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 3 Worksheets

Discussion in 'English' started by adam___porter, Jul 24, 2016.

1. adam___porter

adam___porter New commenter

When I began teaching I inherited a set of around 50, generally double-sided worksheets which frustratingly were lent out to one too many people and disappeared. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of where I could find them or something similar?

First side of each was either an extract from a novel, non-fiction or short story, a poem or pair of poems. The great thing about them was that these were 'classic' texts.

Other side was standard dozen or so questions. 6 or so comprehension questions, 4 or so on author's craft and a couple of creative tasks leadig students to mimic techniques.

Although very much out of fashion in my early years of teaching these were an incredible resource, exposing students to a range of texts, techniques and deliberate practice.

Despite a long search I tend to fall short with either found sheets ither having a KS2 focus, lack of well-known texts (usually low quality or written for the resource) and all tending to be one-offs.

Any suggestions?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

No idea. Sounds interesting and I like the idea of 'deliberate practice'. Do you have even 1 left? If so, can you send it over to get an idea of what's on them?

3. adam___porter

adam___porter New commenter

I wish! I bet each one had a footer detailing the publisher...

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

You might find something similar that you could adapt on readworks.org or sites like that...

5. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I found this online which I might try to adapt along the lines of your lost worksheets - possibly also using Doug Lemov's comprehension question styles (when I get to that part of the book and understand it!)

http://www.k12reader.com/worksheet/classic-literature-little-women/

I think it could be useful for homeworks, etc., in KS3. Thanks for even raising the idea, and I hope this is some form of help.

6. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter