1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 3 Tracking

Discussion in 'English' started by KT1989, Sep 30, 2015.

1. KT1989

KT1989 New commenter

Hello All,

Can anyone enlighten me as to what system etc they are using? We are a PiXL school so are using the massive spreadsheets from them but does anyone have anything they are willing to share that is working for them?

Thank you very much!

Katie

2. always-marking

always-marking New commenter

Hi Katie,
    We're a PiXL school too but are trying to move away from the PLC style assessment spreadsheets with both KS4 and KS3. The KS4 one is much easier to change as the statements can be married together quite easily.
    However, we're struggling too with the KS3 one as the 'I can' statements we use simply lead us down the PLC route which is overly cumbersome for half-termly assessments.

So sorry, not much help other than to let you know that you're not on your own and hopefully some kind soul will help us both!

always-marking

KT1989 likes this.
  3. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

Ugh - we are just introducing those ridiculous PLC sheets for KS4 (and when I say we, I mean our SMT PiXLbot), and they look absolutely crazy to me. I don't even know how or why they are supposed to help any more than the regular, detailed diagnostic feedback they receive already. Plus, I really am not looking forward to giving my bottom set Y11 a 2 sided A4 sheet of red, telling them they can't do stuff, when actually they have made great progress and are actually learning things.

Sorry - this is not helpful either, but couldn't help having a little moan!

For KS3, we are still using APP grids and marking using NC levels, because I think I'll die if I have to deal with ANOTHER new marking/grading/levelling/banding policy this year. We use pupil friendly APP grids (from TES I originally I think) and give feedback/targets from there.

KT1989 likes this.
  4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I use rubrics for both summative and formative. Very useful and clear to everyone. Can assess selected elements along the way so students can see how they're doing. Guess it's not dissimilar to the APP grid but it's more focused on each task, each time.
    The rubrics for the year cover all the standards required. Not all will be given the same focus - will depend on each cohort.

KT1989 likes this.
  5. KT1989

KT1989 New commenter

Hello all,

Thank You all for your feedback; it is reassuring to know that I am not alone!

Would it be possible for you to share the rubrics you are using? I completely understand if you're not willing!

Thanks all, :)

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Sure. I can send you some examples if you email me and tell me the kind of task you're thinking of. My email is my username and it's a Gmail account. Happy to help if I can.

7. sahmede

sahmede New commenter

We are PiXL too, but we are struggling with coming up with assessment criteria. I am in charge of getting an assessment grid together, but at the moment really not winning. I've tried using APP and the AFs, but just changing to 'entry', 'emerging', 'expected', 'exceeding' and 'exceptional', but first time pitched too low and second time pitched too high. Any ideas? Anyone got an assessment criteria for year 7, 8, and 9 I could have a look at?