1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 3 Online practice recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Colleen_Young, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Before you pay for anything - explore the free stuff!
    Does he already use the BBC Bitesize sites? Also try Mr Barton's notes, maybe the interactive tutorials on CIMT? Math is fun... Links all here.
    Does his school use Sumdog? He might enjoy the numeracy games. He can sign up himself free if the school does not subscribe. I wrote some instructions for our students here and there is plenty of help on the Sumdog site. For more games he might enjoy Manga High.

2. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

Level 5/6 is average for year NINE; so if he is at that level in year 7 he is in fact well above average ability - he would most certainly be in a top set at most school.

3. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I agree about him been in top set in most schools if he's working at L5/6. I don't know if you realise that MyMaths has a lot of lessons attached to the homeworks and he might find them useful. MyMaths also has Booster lessons and games.
    If he lacks confidence maybe just get him to talk through his work with you but also emphasize his successes and point out the Level 5/6 is the average for Year 9.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

But that costs money and they already have MyMaths.
    Use the free stuff!
    Ruby what kind of school is your son attending? Whilst it is true that 5/6 is average for Year 9 that would not be the case if he is in some kind of selective school.

5. teacher-ch

teacher-ch New commenter