1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 3 Media Assessment Focus - please help

Discussion in 'English' started by benbrown75, Dec 21, 2011.

1. I have been away from the national curriculum for a few years and want to plan a scheme of work for English using video clips - can I fit this into the current AFs - when it says a 'text' in the descriptors can that be a video. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks Ben

2. I have been away from the national curriculum for a few years and want to plan a scheme of work for English using video clips - can I fit this into the current AFs - when it says a 'text' in the descriptors can that be a video. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks Ben

3. First - and most important: the AFs are non-statutory guidance and, therefore, not a legal requirement. Sometimes, the things we want students to learn can't be fitted into the tick boxes people want us to tick. So, it matters not a jot if it fits AFs. You'll find that the National Curriculum - the legal bit we have to do - has stuff about media education in it. So, what you propose to do is in line with the NC. How about teaching something that's in the curriculum and assessing it according to the other bit that's statutory: the Levels of Attainment. (Sorry if that sounds sarcastic. Yes the AFs and APP all fit the NC quite well but not always.) You could fit media education into a number of the 2AFs - extracting info from text, looking at structure and presentational devices, viewpoint, bias etc etc etc. All the AFs can be made to fit if you really want to make them!

4. Many thanks - that was kind of what I thought - so a video can count as a text?

5. In PGCEs these days, all trainees are encouraged to use multi-modal texts, so 'yes' video is considered a text. Therefore, organisation and cohesion and all those kinds of things covered in...erm...reading AF4(?) can be taught effectively using video.