1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 3 Maths job application

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Rache1G, May 29, 2017.

1. Rache1G

Rache1G New commenter

I'm applying to an internal position for KS3 coordinator in the maths department at my school. This would be my first TLR (however I have been unofficially doing a lot of the KS3 co-ordinator responsibilities for a few months now) and I haven't had an interview since I got the teaching post 2 years ago. I have spent a few days researching and writing my application, but I struggle with the format and structure of a written application (possibly due to dyslexia). I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for me? I know that I need to give paragraphs referencing "why I want the job", "why you want me for the job" and "what new ideas I have", and I do have some good ideas for those paragraphs, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Some questions:
    1. Should I include 'accountability' in the application, or just wait for that in the interview?
    2. How could I say "I can make the teaching and learning at KS3 better" without accidentally saying "its not great now".

I know I am asking for a lot of help, but I am spending a long time on this application as I really want the job, and I know there are some very experienced members of this community. Thank you for any time given to this.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do you 'need' to do this because the school have asked you to do this, or because you think you do?
    It seems a very unusual way to write an application.

Have they given you a person spec or a job description? Use these to write your application, showing how you have the ability and experience to meet each point.

Don't mention 'I can make the teaching and learning at KS3 better' because it's a nonsense. Say specifically what you have done already to improve teaching in the KS and how you will extend this further adding what the likely impact will be.

3. Rache1G

Rache1G New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

1. I thought this may be a good way to loosely structure it, but no the school have not asked for it in this way. Would there be a better format?
    2. They have given a spec, but it is quite general. I've been researching more specific KS3 specs and using those to help me.
    3. Thank you for that last point, I shall frame it in that manner.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You MUST use the one they have given. There is no earthly point showing how you meet the criteria for a post in a different school. You need to show you meet the criteria they have given.

A paragraph or so for each point.
    This gives you the structure for your letter.

Pomz likes this.