1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 3 and nstrumnetal teaching

Discussion in 'Music' started by marlin, May 15, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I know you are asking about Year 7, but is this anything to do with the primary school programme Wider Opportunities?

2. marlin

3. Hi It is being taught like wider opportunities but it isn't for primary - this is year 7. Sorry about the missed i on instrumental lol

4. oh my lots of errors in that first post sorry!

5. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Are you talking about 'band method'? I know of a couple of schools which use(d?) this idea - usually with brass instruments - where every child is given an instrument and they learn to play as a class - incorporating skills like improvisation, theory etc as they learn. I've never actually seen it in practice but the two teachers used to rave about it at conferences. I could imagine some obvious pros and cons.

6. Hi I think it is like that - just wondered how you can cover the curriculum when you focus on skills on an instrument?

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Well...the Music NC is so vague that you can pretty much manipulate it to teach whatever you like so long as you do some performing, listening, composing, evaluating and cover a variety of different genres.

8. marlin

Have you been given any information by the teacher you are taking over from? Have they given you long term/medium term plans showing progression?
    If you are taking over after half term then I assume the leaving teacher is still in post and they would be able to answer some of your questions.

9. hi,

There is nothing wrong with skill building. It may be, as in the case of my department which i am HOD, that year 7 is the year they build the skills on an instrument to enable composition in year 8 and 9. Skills building is very important, and something widely ignored nationally in KS3 music. Performance is key to composing and in listening and appraising.

10. OH i have no problem with that - I mean they learn violin for a huge amount of the year but not under projects and will do no listening or composing becuase they learn to play 8 notes