1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 2 Wrtiting SATs 2012

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kathrynbarnes51, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Help!
    i'm simply trying to find out whether this years writing SATs will be as in previous years, a short write and a long write, or one or the other???
    it is not clear on any official website- simply stating that they will appear similar to previous years.
    I'm not sure whether to prepare my children to write in both a short and longer amount of time or not- help!!!

2. almajim

almajim New commenter

Yes, there is a short and a long writing task.

3. I was under the impression that there were no KS2 writing SATs this year, only Reading and Maths.

4. There are definitely Writing SATS this year it's just that the majority of schools will be internally marking & moderating their papers. A sample of schools will submit theirs to be externally marked & moderated. From 2013 the Writing SATS are going to replaced with a Writing Skills Test but for one last time, we are doing the regular tests!!

Kim :)

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We're doing the writing test too this year ( just for the fun of it!) but, as only the teacher assessment is reported I shall happily ignore the results if the quality of marking is as poor as it has been in previous years ( unless of course the marker errs on the generous side[​IMG])

6. Its a short write and a long write as before. Your headteacher will have access to the information, it's on the NCA tests site. You have until the end of June to do the tests, they are to support teacher assessment and results should not overrule your TA. Results are then uploaded to LAs who then send to DFE.
    Tests should be in schools by the end of April and as with the SATS papers must be locked away form prying eyes!!!

7. Just re read your post. I presume the tests which are being sent off to be marked will be short and long too. You can't choose to ignore those results and go with TA, they will be the one on which your RAISEis based.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The interim arrangements for English writing in 2012 will be similar to the approach at the
    end of Key Stage 1. A child’s English writing result will be a teacher assessment judgement
    of their work across Year 6. Teachers’ judgements will be informed by and take account of
    (but not be limited by) the child’s result on a standard test.

The TA will the mark reported not the test
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/k/assessment%20and%20reporting%20arrangements%20key%20stage%202.pdf

9. "Regardless of which English writing test is administered, the test result will inform a
    teacher assessment judgement. It is solely the teacher assessment in writing (and not test
    results) that will be published, that will contribute towards an overall English level and that
    will be used for accountability purposes."
    I am guessing you haven't read your ARA yet then, Julia [​IMG]

10. Yes but...will the writing TA scores be that simple?
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/557870.aspx?PageIndex=1
    When you dig down, whole TA levels for writing (ie. Level 3, Level 4, Level 5 or Level 6) could present a major problem which still hasn't been sorted out...[​IMG]

11. Msz

12. paul_brown72

paul_brown72 New commenter

It's not that straightforward though is it.

If we give a whole-level TA writing level, how can this be combined with a numerical value out of 50 (generated by the external reading test) to produce an overall level for English?

I have emailed the Department for Education. They replied, saying that a decision had not been made. It would be decided in the SUMMER TERM!!. So they don't know. It hadn't even crossed their minds.

I think there are several possibilities. 1.Reading and Writing will just be published separately with no overall level.
    2.They will give the same numerical value to ALL level 3, 4, 5 (this is the worst one; a 4c writer is so different to a 4a writer!).
    3.They will just base RAISE online on Reading as that is externally marked and therefore more 'reliable'.

It's a shambles.
    Next year's test will be based on some kind of ridiculous grammar test, so it's only going to get worse!

13. Msz

I'm not sure how that prevents you from assessing writing and reporting a level.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Because we're not sure whether we will be assessing an overall whole level, a sub level or a numerical equivalent!

No-one seems to know quite what will happen, will those being externally marked receive a numerical level as in previous years, will those going for internal marking have to asign a sub level or a numerical value or simply a whole level, will there therefore be a difference in papers marked externally and levels asssigned internally?
    Possibly some one somewhere knows, but they're not telling us yet!

15. Msz

The ARA says The interim arrangements for English writing in 2012 will be similar to the approach at the
    end of Key Stage 1. A child’s English writing result will be a teacher assessment judgement
    of their work across Year 6. Teachers’ judgements will be informed by and take account of
    (but not be limited by) the child’s result on a standard test.

~In KS1 teachers report sub levels for level 2 (expected level)

16. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

Fascinating f*** up! I've just asked my SIP to confirm that the scores from my externally marked papers won't be reported, that they'll just inform my teacher assessment. He thought that wasn't the case, and two headteachers chipped in to agree with him... You know when you start doubting yourself???? Well, I'm relieved to see that it looks like I am right, but can't believe the can of worms that's opened up by your comments. Can you imagine the *** at the DfE getting your email and having an emergency meeting? "He's got a point you know, what the f*** are we gonna do now?"

17. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

And can anyone tell you how a test can "inform" a TA? Maybe, just maybe, if you were "on the cusp" with a child's level, a wonderful test result might encourage you to plump for the higher level.
    However, with a year or two or three's portfolio of evidence in front of you, if it tells you clearly what the child's level is, you're not going to change your mind because of a one off snapshot, are you?
    I was once (many, many years ago) trained on how to choose appropriate Sats, teach them and have them inform my TA but of course Sats weren't test papers and the idea was dropped in 1992, anyway. (I bet the heads etc referred to above are ignorant enough to believe we still have Sats and maybe are thick enough to believe they give the actual NC levels.)

18. I don't know if you guys get the press releases from the DFE or QCA or NCA or STA or whatever they want to be called......

We've had one to say that the reading and writing will be recorded separately this year as in KS1

19. `Id just like to thank the high percentage of teachers that were against testing Year 6 kids.
    Look what we`ve got now as big a ..............cks as we had before but guess what???
    this time im assessing 32 scripts as well.
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Education is at its lowest ebb ive ever known it to be in my brief ten years
    and the NUT are doing nothing, despite all of us losing pay when we struck on the previous three occasions.
    Tim nice but Dim -you know who i mean - is like a clueless kitten with a ball of wool, but the ball is our precious kids education!!

20. someone on here says you can download the writing papers from feb???? Surely not as its sent sealed and to be locked away?? Also anyone done theirs yet? We leaving ours as long as poss with hope the writing improves!!