1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 2 role play

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lf499, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Maybe a Roman house with food/medicines etc? Or perhaps a Roman Army base to practice marching, kit bags?
    Would also be really interested in including other classroom areas to aid transition for year 2 into Year 3, especially role play. Can't really offer anything at this stage, but if you have any good ideas would love to share!

2. Hi,
    About 5 years ago I had a "Hadrian's Wall" roleplay area in my class - helmets, shields, tunics, sheep skins coats etc for dressing up in. Kids loved it. General speaking/listening & writing focus but other cross-curricular stuff in too.
    When it comes to providing other areas for kids to work in it depends on what space you have, how many kids you've got and how much TA support etc you have too. I've had a junk modelling/construction area in the corridor, a black tray with sand, small world toys etc with year 5s, art areas etc. I set up rotation activities in afternoons so say you've got 6 groups in your class, over two afternoons they'll do 6 rotations 30 mins at each. Could be something like this:
    1. Science - with me
    2. Comprehension - Ind.
    3. Roleplay area - Ind
    4. Guided Reading - TA
    5. Junk Modelling - Ind.
    6. Laptops - Ind.
    Other things could be outdoor play (weather permitting. TA does guded reading outside), water tray. Look up stuff they do in reception & adapt to suit your kids
    The children didn't always like every activity (normally comprehension! lol!) but they like the other things so they work hard to get everything finshed on time!
    Hope this helps a little!
    Phil

3. Other roleplays I've either done or heard of in Year 4 & 5. Ofcourse, could easily be adapted for any age in KS2.
    Jungle, Anderson Shelter, Spanish Cafe, Bob's Electrics, Pyramids, Football Changing Room, Wardrobe from "Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe", Moon Cafe, Pirate Ship, Greek Temple, Coal Pit...that's all I can remember off the top of my head!

4. That's really helpful. Thank you

5. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Earlier in the year we had a role play are for yr 3/4 based on out tudor topic. We made it look like a Tudor kitchen with a huge fire. We made some simple costumes (aprons, hats) for children to wear to act out as they thought they would in the tudor kitchen. We also put out feathers and paper for chidren to do some handwriting. On certain afternoons TA's took children out and they made some artifacts for the kitchen. At the end of the topic we used this area as a starting point for turning our whole corridor (which is very wide) into a tudor room and we had a tudor party. The kids loved it.
    This half term we basing our learning around science as it has been left out a little over the year so our outside area is going to be an investigation area. Children will be able to mix different materials and see if they can separate them etc

6. Great ideas here! Love the frankenstein idea, rocketdog!

7. thank you:) that was my yr4 boys idea!

8. what a fab idea!