1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 2 class size limit

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dootle, May 28, 2011.

1. I had 37 in year 6 on my final teaching placement!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

45 in reception pre infant class size limit (shared a TA with 3 other classes)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Most ever? Thirty six year 5 children. No TA, it was a middle school and TAs were deployed differently.

4. 37 PT TA y4

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

30, I am in a middle school and our PAN is 112 into 4 classes, which allows nicely for any extras we pick up. In KS3 I have had 33/34 in higher sets due to setting.

6. mixed yr3/4 42 presently - some things are a problem bust mostly OK. I have a very competent full time TA. As previous person said there is no limit to junior classes.

7. pooped

pooped New commenter

39 year 5 children including 3 statemented children and several other special needs. It was 'challenging'!

8. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

40 mixed R/Y1 pre infant class size rule. You'd be amazed at how well the children progressed.

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My school limits all class sizes to 30.

10. Hi everyone
    Thank you so much for replying. I think a small part of the problem is space - my sister says that the classrooms are really small. The school wants to limit class sizes and argued against the appeals but failed and now all the parents are wondering why the school has a PAN but the appeal panel can choose to ignore it. However, looking at the numbers of children you have all managed, 34 doesn't seem that many!

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If other classes are below the PAN the school can admit up to the limit plus additional children to fill the shortfall in other year groups but there is a limit decided by the size of the classroom perhaps that's the thing to investigate?