1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 2 Book Banding

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cath176, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    Please can you help. I want to organise our novels and reading material in Key Stage 2 in a meaningful way. Our Key Stage 1 books are banded, but this only goes so far. I have ordered the relevant books for banding off Amazon, but from researching it seems it won't go as far as I'd like. We have children reading Roald Dahl, Michael Murphurgo, Sally Grindley etc. Any of you wonderful people know where I can go to find levels for the books we have. Any links I've found on here are old and don't appear to work. Thanks so much for reading this.
    Cathy

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. MsZ, I'm not sure that's what the OP is looking for. I think some way of sorting "general fiction" ooks for KS2 into groups similar to KS1 colour bands is needed, if I understand correctly?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

that's what the IOE bridging book does LittleMissCurious
    It has reading scheme books and non scheme books

5. According to the summary:
    "To help teachers set up comprehensive Guided Reading resources that support
    children's development as they move into Key Stage 2, the authors of Book Bands
    for Guided Reading have listed nearly 2,000 titles in a gradient of six colour
    bands. These progress from Orange to Lime and represent Working Towards NC Level
    2 to Level 3. Please note that this book only contains one additional level above KS1 and
    higher levels into KS2 are not currently available."
    So it doesn't really band books for KS2.

6. Cathy, did you ever get any further with this??

7. roise

roise New commenter

I've just posted this on another thread but sounds like what you're looking for. It's a database of over 5000 levelled titles. It's worth noting though that it's made upon lots of different peoples levels so it can vary.
    http://www.six.somerset.gov.uk/sixv3/ks3booklevelling/

8. bouckl01

bouckl01 New commenter

Hi Cath,

Hope u r enjoying Easter. Did you get a comprehensive list across publishers to band books in the ks 2 library - i may have to do it myself...

Chris