1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Stage 2 2012 - Research participants please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eddiecarron, Jul 24, 2011.

1. I am looking for twelve Year 6 classes to participate in a project designed to significantly boost English achievement in the 2012 Key stage 2 test. Ideally, this would suit schools with historically low Key Stage 2 English results – a ‘pass rate’ of 90% is virtually guaranteed and there are no costs whatsoever for the schools involved.
    For full details click here or take a look at http://research2012.blogspot.com

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm moving out of year 6, but our school might possibly be interested. We have two year 6 classes though and both would need to do it.

Is it over and above the literacy hour?

3. Re: the literach hour.
    That is for each school to decide. Some use it as part of the literacy hour and some don't. My interest is only that the exercises are routinely completed. One of the schools in the first phase also had two Year 6 classes - one participated and the other didn't. The non-participating class achieved precisely what they predicted - in the participating class, not one of the 25% predicted to achieve Level 3 failed to achieve Level 4 so their overall 'pass rate' was 100%

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There is no way on earth we would have one class participating and one not, just to see what happens.

I've read several of your posts, however I'm happy to suggest we try anything that is free and not too time consuming. I'm not sure the entire class would need to do this anyway, several will get a level 5 anyway. I'm thinking more the children predicted a 3 or a low 4 use it as a add on extra.

5. I take the view that the majority of children for whom a Level 2 is predicted have a specific learning difficulty and the majority of those for whom a Level 3 is predicted have a non-specific learning difficulty. In the recently completed research phase, not one child for a Level 3 was predicted failed to achieve a Level 4 at least.
    I am strictly limiting the number of participants to twelve and the first twelve to express a firm interest by registering as per the website will participate. I have now had four expressions of interest since I posted the message this afternoon, though no-one has actually registered yet.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I can express interest, but would need to talk to the year 6 teachers and the literacy co-ord before saying a firm yes and registering. No way can I make that sort of firm decision without consultation.

I've sent your link them by email and have sent a link to this thread. Not much else I can do.
    I would agree with this as a generalisation. Would your program make a difference to all those predicted a level 3 and below, ie also the level 1 and 2 children?

Would it also make a difference to get the predicted level 4 children to a level 5?

7. A number of children for whom a Level 2 or lower was predicted did particiapte but the number involved was small and the evidence inconclusive. I had three reports stating that what was achieved by those for whom a Level 1 or 2 was predicted was cery good. One ead teacher used the approach experimentaly with one child. The child was a Level 1 at Ks 1 but in fact achieved Level 4b in Reading and Level 4 in Writing. Her school has now adopted the approach throughout but as I said, the quantity of evidence is insufficient for me to make claims in respect of the group for whom less than Level 3 is predicted.
    As far as those for whom a Level 3 is predicted, my claim is unequivocal. I also expect a high proportion of pupils for whom a Level 4 is predicted to achieve Level 5 and the first stage research outcomes support this expectation.

8. Hi,
    My school has three Year 6 classes and although we have achieved our highest ever English results last year, this year's cohort pose more challenges.
    This is certainly something that I would be interested in learning more about. What would be the next step?
    Regards,
    Penny Sherborne