1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key stage 1 residential? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by l.wood2, Jun 28, 2011.

1. We go to Thornbridge Outdoors which is near Bakewell, but we take Y6 no idea if they would take KS1 but may be worth calling and finding out? If you google them they are pretty easy to find.

2. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

Thanks very much, I'll give them a call and see! Any other ideas anyone?

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I don't want to rain on your parade, but is that normal in your school?

Personally I think they are bit young. Our first overnight at my school is in Year 4.

4. A residential in KS1? We can't even get our parents to let the children go on a day trip, let alone stay away overnight without them.
    How will you deal with bedwetters, nightmares, tears and trouble at bedtime etc?!

5. Jammy-Dodger

I know it seems a bit crazy! I wouldn't normally consider it at that age, and I can't go into too much detail without making myself identifiable, but I've got good reason to think they'd cope with it ok. The head agrees with me and is right behind the idea, just wants me to find somewhere.

6. I wouldn't want to take KS1 on residential. This year (or next year) cohort might be able to deal with it but you will be setting a precedent. What about future years? If you really must make sure it's somewhere close to home for your own sake.

7. Don't
    Do
    It.

8. I admire your courage! As a Mum of a key stage 1 child I certainly would not allow my child on an overnight school trip. Bear in mind some children at this age wet the bed, some sleep with parents or look for parents at night.They are too young in my opinion...some will never have been away from home without a parent. Some may cope well but you will have to get them all to sleep...I imagine a "sleepover " with 30 odd 5/6 year olds....couldn't think of anything worse!! I am also a teacher and have been away on residentail trips....they leave you drained to say the least!! Dare I say "Look before you leap!!!" Forgot to mention that they also sleep with cuddly toys at the age..!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you and the HT are fine with it then go for it!

Just a one night would be my choice for a first time away from home.

If you can organise your own entertainment for the time away, then there is a fab youth hostel at Ilam.
    http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/peak-district-sherwood/hostels/Ilam/index.aspx

Lots of green space to run around and they do cater for schools.

10. Jammy-Dodger

I really wish I could explain the circumstances on here! It's a very particular type of school that would make me very identifiable if I explained, but it would be nothing like a normal class trip. Like I say, there honestly are specific reasons why I think they'd be ok but I can absolutely see why everyone thinks it's crazy. PM if you want a clearer explanation than this waffle...

11. I wouldn't even consider a residential with Key stage 1. I would have thought that besides all the obvious problems already stated that the insurance would be horrendous. The pupil:staff ratio would also have to be incredibly high. Probably 2:1 or similar. Does your local authority even allow it? The legalities would be very high. Don't even consider more than one night if you insist on going ahead with it. I think you are setting yourself up for a nightmare. There is no way I would even consider letting a child of my own going away at that age away from family.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

5 of our thirty four year 6s this year did so.
    3 of our year 6s generally do so, apparently.
    No idea how many.
    29 of the 34 had never even been to a sleepover at a friend's house.
    All 34 children and 4 staff took teddies of some kind!

If you are happy with your decision to take them away, and have the support of your HT, then do so.

13. Jammy-Dodger

Thanks Minnie, that youth hostel looks fab! I'll have a closer look when I'm more awake [​IMG]

14. erm...

I take Y2s on residential. It's a 2-day trip to a very local farm with a 1 night sleepover. We book the farmhouse for a week and 15 children sleepover on each night. 2 members of staff sleep each night. Parents can choose whether to allow their child to attend for just the daytimes or overnight as well. This year all 30 of mine slept and last year all 30 did too. It is an fantastic experience for them and the children talk about it for years to come. They really develop confidence on this trip and it is lovely to see them blossom. We see very few tears and they are mostly from the parents with the children telling them to go home and leave them! Our risk assessments, ratios etc. are fairly straight forward. You know your children and a residential may be great for them!

15. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

I'm a Scout Leader in my spare time and we have Beaver sleepovers, where we take children aged 5 years 9 months to 8 years old on a one night sleepover. For many it's their first taste of being away from home and a teddy is essential!!
    However, I would be very cautious taking KS1 in my curent school, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the Year 6 residential.
    Maybe have a look at local Scouting and Girl Guiding sites, they have indoor accomodation and trained instructors if you are looking to do activities.

16. I'm surprised by the number of Mums on here who have said that they wouldn't let their KS1 child go on a residential. I'm interested to know why? We have a meeting before ours and the usual questions come up about fussy eaters, bed wetting, medication, home sickness etc. but we have procedures in place for all of these possible problems and parents have always been satisfied that we have the children's best interests at heart and will do our utmost to give them a special learning experience.

17. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

My school also take year 2 on a residential. It's only a 15 minute drive from the school but it seems a different world as it's a huge house surrounded by open fields. They stay for 2 nights and they absolutely love it. This trip has been running for over 10 years now and it's very popular with parents. The house only sleeps a certain number of children and it's always full. If parents feel their child is too young or won't cope with being away then they don't send them. The teachers and TA's of both year 2 classes stay overnight, along with another experienced member of staff and we have various adults who come out during the day.

18. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Sometimes, as a mum, it's because you know your child wouldn't be ready. My own daughter is a very confident child, and would have been happy to have spend a few days away from me when she was in Key Stage 1.
    But she decided not to go on a Brownie weekend camp when in Year 2, because she used to wet the bed. Even though she liked and trusted the adults who were going, and knew that if she had an accident they would have dealt with it discreetly, she felt that the whole situation would be too embarrassing.
    She's be happy to spend days away from me, but not nights - only her Grandma was a safe person to spend a sleepover with.

19. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I worked in a school where reception class used to go on a camping trip in the Summer term and would spend 3 nights away!

20. I am one of the Mum's who said I would not allow my own child on a residential trip at Key satge 1.You may think I am old fashioned about it but persoanlly I believe my own child is too young and immature.I know for a fact she would be awake half the night with the excitement factor and she has the ability to stay awake into the early hours without a problem! She would then be exhausted the following day and be irritable and tearful. This would cause hassle for the teachers. I am sure there are others who would be in a similar state. She is an outgoing, bright child and will go anywhere and stay anywhere and she has been away from home without her parents but she has been with extended family members. I would allow her on a sleepover with a close friend but she has not asked...yet!
    I think that children grow up so quickly and are so independent at a very young age..why not keep the "excitement" of a school residential trip until at least Y4? I have total trust in the teachers and carers who accompany children on these trips, they are often not thanked enough.