1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key stage 1 phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by essc, Jun 3, 2017.

1. essc

essc New commenter

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how you teach phonics in key stage 1? How many sounds do you teach a week? And how do you link these with spellings? I'm currently in year 2 and we teach through RWI in 5 set groups (2 classes) I feel like we should teach a new sound every day however, historically we have taught one sound a week and sent home spellings for this sound. However, I feel like this is not a quick enough pace and we are not covering enough of the curriculum, especially considering the appendices for English national curriculum. Thoughts please??? Many thanks for your time x

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

In KS1 all sounds have been taught and we are teaching the alternative spellings for the sounds. In Y1 we teach the most common spellings for each sound so would focus on each sound for as long as required often a full week or more.
    So 4 ways to spell the sound /ae/ then 4 ways to spell the /ee/ sound then look at the spelling <ea> representing /ae/ and /ee/ ...it might take half a term to be secure in those before moving on to next sound.
    In Y2 we teach more ways to spell each sound until all common ways have been taught.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But surely your year 1s sit the phonics test, so need to know all the sounds before they come to you? Then in year 2 it would be as @Msz describes and teaching alternative spellings.

RWI isn't a sound a week by any means, how do you follow that?

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

It should be more than a sound a week. I start every RWI lesson going through the sounds quite quickly using the RWI cards (10 minutes) and do what they show you at their training of making two piles, one pile for sounds they all know, then one pile for sounds they hesitate on/get wrong/don't know. Then I teach those sounds the following day, and keep repeating the process. Hope this helps.

5. essc

essc New commenter

Thank you for replies. Yes there are lots of issues... such as not fully embedding the practice through proper training and a low pass rate of phonic screening. I completely agree it should be more than one sound a week and plan for my groups based on this. I wanted to know what everyone else is doing as I feel we have just got stuck in a rut as this is what has always been done. Thanks everyone x

6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I bought the pinny (think market trader apron) they use on RWI training and keep all the cards in there and whenever we have a spare 5 minutes or lining up for lunch etc I just whip them out (the cards, I mean, that sounded wrong). X

7. Msz

You shouldn't be teaching any sounds in KS1 they should have been taught in reception

newbie81 likes this.
  8. tcubberley

tcubberley New commenter

We teach phonics everyday, 2 sounds per week
    Day 1- new sound
    Day 2- consolidate sound
    Day 3- new sound
    Day 4- consolidate
    Day 5- carousel of activities to revise all sounds taught to date

9. Msz

Why are people teaching sounds in KS1 ? Most children should be secure with the Sounds by the end of reception

10. tcubberley

tcubberley New commenter

Because our pupils arrive with such low starting points that our fantastic EYFS team manage to teach all Set 1 and some Set 2 sounds (RWI) so Year 1 have the job of picking up what has been lost over the summer holidays, then continue with Set 2 and 3.

11. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Now wouldn't that be nice? Hardly constructive to make other posters feel bad though is it?

12. Msz

It is constructive to question why KS1 staff are still teaching Sounds when they should be able to focus on teaching alternative spellings for the majority of pupils regardless of starting point. I would suggest an audit of provision.

13. Msz

If children are losing this much over the summer it suggests learning isn't secure so something isn't working.

14. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

By the end of reception children should have been taught one way of representing each of the sounds. i.e. Set 1 and set 2 of RWInc. Year 1 then do the alternative common ways and the more complex ways. They also teach some guidance about which spelling pattern to use - which is the best bet.

15. MelHug94

MelHug94 New commenter

Possibility that posters questioning loss of learning over the summer / necessity of teaching Sounds in KS1 are working with stronger cohorts than others? Not an attack, just an observation. Personally have only worked in schools in deprived areas and it is common with low-attaining intakes to be 'catching up' for much of primary, not just KS1. The question is; how to 'catch up' AND make gains... up against it from day 1. Well done to all teachers working in all environments, everyone is working so hard, lets lift each other up and support one another with constructive feedback.
    I am also going into Y1 in Sept for first time (7 years in) and am grateful for the variety of responses and suggestions I've found on these message boards - thank you all.

Rivermill and Lucy2711 like this.
  16. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I like the idea of the pinny and utilising dead time like lining up to go over it. We used to practise times tables or telling the time looking at the classroom clock. It helps manage behaviour as the children are occupied and those 5 minutes add up.