1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key questions for International Post

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Donlevya, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Donlevya

Donlevya New commenter

Dear All,

I have an interview for a post in Hong Kong and have never worked abroad. I am very experienced 10yrs+ in the private school sector but was wondering if there were any key questions about working abroad you could recommend.

The package details have been briefly outlined but more details will be presented at the interview. I would feel happy with this here, due to experience and role comparison in the UK but find it hard to define in an international setting.

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

thanks

2. 576

576 Established commenter

I think the key questions are different for everyone. You need to figure out what matters to you. What would be the deal-breaker?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, on this forum there is a strange beast called "the hippo". Some people send him one of those Conversation things,

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'I am very experienced 10yrs+ in the private school sector'

I am not sure that makes you very experienced in any setting let alone an international setting.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Ten years seems experienced enough. In my last post I recruited several hundred teachers for two new schools in India. Many were youngsters who wrote of their 'vast' experience and I was inclined to be satirical until I remembered, at all of twenty-three, contradicting a veteran colleague with the words 'not in my experience'. God rest, Miss Richmond, I learned a lot from you and would have learned a lot more had I learned to keep my gob shut.

Angelil likes this.
  6. tallpoppy71

tallpoppy71 New commenter

Hi Hippo,
    I’ve sent you a conversation