1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Portfolio Pay slip Help!!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Cit-cat, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Cit-cat

Cit-cat New commenter

Hey guys, so I've just done my first full week as a NQT supply teacher. I was so excited to finally get my pay slip. I knew Key would take a small cut (I'd been told no more than £15) but I wasn't expecting over £100 of my hard earned cash to have disappeared. Now I automatically have a pension pot (bye bye £8) and obviously pay my NI (£33). But then there's the employers outgoings of £47.

What are these employees outgoings? I know my agency take a cut before I see anything, why are they taking a cut after?

I want to have some sort of understanding before I ring them up.

Does anyone else feel like their money is robbed off them doing Supply?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My agency just take tax and NI off. There are no outgoings. I would query this and then swap agencies.

Cit-cat and agathamorse like this.
  3. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

You best check that:
    1) You're on the correct tax code
    2) They aren't taking employer and employee NI contributions

Find out if the agency will pay you through PAYE. You'd be better off. There are few (no?!) benefits to being paid through an umbrella company.

Cit-cat and agathamorse like this.
  4. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

I used to be paid through Key Portfolio. They used to list all 'employer' outgoings (which the 'worker' pays) separately but then rolled them up into one amount. I assume this was to make it more difficult for the employee to figure out what has been deducted. It will include the employer's NI and the employer's pension contribution. It may well also include the apprenticeship levy (which my previous agency tried to push onto me until I complained). Umbrella companies employ 'workers' through an overarching contract that essentially means the workers pay all the deductions - both employee's and employer's. How this is legal I don't know. I would suggest you ask to be paid directly by the agency. If they won't do this (as my previous agency wouldn't), join another agency (or two) that will and gradually move over to working for them.
    Good Luck.

Cit-cat likes this.
  5. Cit-cat

Cit-cat New commenter

Thank you everyone. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Yes I will talk to my agency about this and hopefully be able to switch from Key. That seems to be the best option. :)