1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Key Portfolio, Pay and escaping!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BelleDuJour, May 26, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Key is not rubbish, providing you use it well. Are you claiming your mileage and lunch allowances? Also you can claim part of your phone bill, and any inkcartidges, paper, pens etc you buy.
    It is easy to leave. Phone Key and advise them and email your agency, as you may need a different contract to get paid direct.
    In my experience, it's only worth leaving Key if you are working VERY close to home making mileage insignificant.

2. Not sure if the amounts are correct but I can recommend RACS GROUP as an alternative. They will be open and honest with you from the start and if you are not better off they will recommend you stick to paye.

3. That's the reason it works out well for me. Because of moving across county boundaries but staying with my old agency as I'm on a main arterial road between the two cities, I still do the bulk of my work in my old "patch" meaning I'm a 20 mile round trip minimum a day. The mileage part racks up. Never claimed for meals or the like because I gather there's been some disagreement on the ins and outs of that subject but I do put down the mileage and I've never been worse off for going via Key.

4. Hello,

I have just signed up with one of the agencies that uses Key. I was told by the girl who works there that one can also claim money back for the cloths, which would be great as while working for school I would need to buy some extra 'smart' clothes.
    Did anybody do that?How would you claim for it?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Don't believe what they tell you about Key. They claim you can get mileage - check with inland revenue because I'm reasonably certain you can't.
    This debate has come up before. Any problems and Key would pass them onto you. There have been cases of agency workers being investigated for such dubious claims.

6. Have to say that Key were honest and told me not to bother going with them unless I was working at least 2/3 days per week on a teachers rate (I have said I will do TA work too) as their deductions drop your wage in smaller amounts making you worse off. As I have had only 1 day a week since half term on average I have stuck to PAYE with the agency, and my first payslip of just under £400 had no tax or NI taken off as this has been the only money I have earned this tax year (as well as my JSA) and therefore under the threshold for tax and NI.

Hope that helps.

7. Key is rubbish, and I actually lost money for using them compared to even paye and stopped using them after a few days. You can save a little more tax with them if you can claim significant mileage and expenses.