1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

kenyan song for children to learn

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sophie3, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am trying to find a suitable Kenyan song for my class to learn as part of our Olympic celebrations. Every class is performing a song and dance related to their country. We have a dance teacher who is covering the dance element - phew! But I am struggling to find a song that we can learn. Any ideas would be gratefully received!
    Sophie [​IMG]

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

3. Hi,
    Have a look on You Tube/Google for the song Jambo bwana (Hakuna Matata).

4. We are doing Kye Kye Kule in front of the school. Easy call and response, although i may take your ideas as well!
    We are focusing on Kenya in Reception so would be great to share ideas?
    i.e. today we made Masai chains!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Does anyone have Kenyan children in their class? I just wonder why small children should focus on Kenya and Masai. Are there not enough things to focus on at that early stage without going so far from home? This is not meant to be a put down. I am just curious.

6. Hi,
    yes I do have a little boy from Kenya in my class which was why we decided to focus on this country. In response to your enquiry as to why children should focus so far away from home there is no reason why they shouldn't. The children have really enjoyed looking at the Kenyan culture and looking at the similarities and differences to their own experiences. It is nice for the little boy as he can share the experiences he has had when visiting family in Kenya and can relate to something we do as most of the class are white british so he is feeling very special and valued at the moment!
    Thank you all for your comments I have been looking at the links you sent & will hopefully have a song soon :)