1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kenya?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Dothework, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Dothework

Dothework New commenter

What are peoples' experiences of living in Kenya? I have a 10 year old boy and a single mum. Thought it would be an exciting experience.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

There are lots of threads on here about Kenya - perhaps do a search. Having lived in Kenya as a child (in Nairobi and Eldoret) my feeling is that you might end up feeling quite isolated unless you got very lucky with your colleagues/parents of your son's friends. It's not the kind of place where you chat to your neighbours over the fence or can walk down the road to pub on the corner.

Dothework likes this.
  3. 576

576 Established commenter

I think the up country schools might be better suited to you than Nairobi or Mombasa.
    But some find them too quiet.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Good god...if you listened to all those "alerts" you would never travel anywhere.

My sister had 7 wonderful years in Kenya, but some of the schools can be pretty isolated. She did however have truly amazing holidays, and as a family we got to do a lot of Kenya cheaply because of her.

6. Rott Weiler

Yes indeed, ignore it, those so-called security experts in the government don't what they are talking about, not compared to someone whose sister once worked there.

7. dumbbells66

its alarmist rubbish. i have lived and worked in many places that the government would say is a terrible idea..... i personally have had no issues at all. one of the worse places i have actually lived for dangerous stuff happening to people was Spain !!!! have you read the Foreign Office reports on Thailand and Vietnam? they are terrible, but yet thousands of people live and work there with no issue whatsoever, and constantly seem to be "the" places to work on the international circuit.

just remind me @Rott Weiler, how many of these countries with travel warnings from the foreign office have you lived and worked in?

8. Rott Weiler

Why don't we let @Dothework decide whether government advice is rubbish? It's s/he who is planning to live there. No I have never lived in Kenya, and nor by the sound of it have you. Your over reaction to my mild suggestion to the OP that she might want to "keep an eye on" security advice verges on the unbalanced.

9. dumbbells66

but based on a huge amount of overseas experience

10. 576

576 Established commenter

FCO advice tends to be about very specific areas of Kenya.
    International teachers won't find it hard to avoid the Somalia border and Eastleigh!!

The rebuilt Westgate mall has more visible security than Nairobi airport.

There are terrorist attacks in Kenya, as in London, Manchester and Paris, but day to day life is pretty safe if you are sensible.

rouxx likes this.
  11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Not in Kenya, but not a million miles away either.

If you’re up for a fabulous experience, great holiday opportunities and the school is right for you and your son, then Kenya will offer that. I applied to a school in Africa by mistake...best mistake of my life.

Don’t expect Europe with a safari park on your doorstep. Life can be challenging but in Kenya you can get most of the trappings of a western lifestyle, although some come at a price. Fabulous weather!

See @576 comment re safety.

576 likes this.