1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kent GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by poacher67, Apr 14, 2011.

1. After a gruelling university interview, I was accepted on the GTP course and sent a list of all the participating schools in my area (including London). I live in the most furthest south east position of Kent and had a very limited number of schools I could 'reasonably' access.
    The university advised visiting schools before application, which became exhausting and lead to a blur of information. Even so this was a good way to get a feel for the schools, head teachers and children.
    I was extremely lucky to be called for interview at three schools, but all on the same day. One interview lasted all morning, another school altered my time to allow me to drive 15 miles and the third one refused to offer me an alternative time. (I was also aware that this school had an 'in house' applicant who had got through on appeal, so my chances were very slim there!).
    I was unsuccessful with my applications, and my feedback was positive. I was just unlucky on the day. Of all my applications, though, I only had one letter of 'no thanks'.
    My initial reaction was really upsetting due to my hard work with writing personal letters to all the schools, travelling far and wide and then having nothing to show for it. I do not understand why the university accepts so many people when there are so few schools. The whole process is stressful and disheartening, especially when the place is obviously being given to someone within the school. You get over one hurdle to be faced with a brick wall!
    Rant over...how do other GTP applicants in Kent feel?

2. After a gruelling university interview, I was accepted on the GTP course and sent a list of all the participating schools in my area (including London). I live in the most furthest south east position of Kent and had a very limited number of schools I could 'reasonably' access.
    The university advised visiting schools before application, which became exhausting and lead to a blur of information. Even so this was a good way to get a feel for the schools, head teachers and children.
    I was extremely lucky to be called for interview at three schools, but all on the same day. One interview lasted all morning, another school altered my time to allow me to drive 15 miles and the third one refused to offer me an alternative time. (I was also aware that this school had an 'in house' applicant who had got through on appeal, so my chances were very slim there!).
    I was unsuccessful with my applications, and my feedback was positive. I was just unlucky on the day. Of all my applications, though, I only had one letter of 'no thanks'.
    My initial reaction was really upsetting due to my hard work with writing personal letters to all the schools, travelling far and wide and then having nothing to show for it. I do not understand why the university accepts so many people when there are so few schools. The whole process is stressful and disheartening, especially when the place is obviously being given to someone within the school. You get over one hurdle to be faced with a brick wall!
    Rant over...how do other GTP applicants in Kent feel?