1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kensuke's Kingdom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Keep Smiling!, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Hi,
    I'm reading this book with my Year 5 class at the moment and I was looking for any fun activities people have done based on it? We've been reading it for pleasure rather than as a unit of work but would like to do a couple of activities. Has anyone done anything the class have really enjoyed that they wouldn't mind sharing? We've just drawn our own map of the island based on what we've read.
    Many thanks
    Keep Smiling!

2. Hi there,

We use Kensuke's Kingdom in Year 6 and it has proved to be a huge success. We have an event lesson early on to stimulate the writing later on. We turn the hall into a desert island - display in one corner, lots of fabric, shells etc. The children are put into groups of about 5 or 6. Each group has a box of sand with tasks hidden inside. The task then works much like desert island discs. They have to imagine they have been stranded and they need to decide what to do and when - make a shelter, look for food etc, what items they would keep from the wreckage etc.
    The writing at the end is based on how they felt being stranded on the island. It probably generates the best work all year!
    Primary Teachit has lots of good ideas too.
    Have fun!

3. Keep Smiling!

Thank you very much, that sounds like a great idea!

4. Thanks for those ideas I will pinch them too! Mine enjoyed writing scripts and acting out the scene where they set off on their journey (with the friend and gran seeing them off). I also made a booklet with little tasks for them to fill in as we read it. Using a world map you can also plot their trip (it does show this in the book but mine didn't twig!). Oh and they enjoyed researchig jellyfish (and making a poster about them).

5. Keep Smiling!

Brilliant! I've just looked at Teachit Primary and they've got some great activities too!

6. nkperry

nkperry New commenter

We read Kensukes Kingdom in Year 6 and tried to think what Kensukes would have done to keep himself occupied on the island (as well as loads of drama work!). We looked at Japanese art and created some 'island' scenes ourselves in a Japanese style; we looked at Japanese letters and writing and tried writing our names (as labels for the artwork); we imagined what sort of things Kensuke would have written in his diary; visited the WWF for information about orang utans; researched the atom bomb and its consequences then held a debate about the pros and cons (end of World War 2/health consequences/power that man has to destroy). Loved it!

7. Great ideas nkperry, could you give some ideas for drama I'd like to do more next year? As I've said we've done the leaving scene, but that's it.
    Ta muchly!

8. Hello all,
    We do have a handful of Kensuke's Kingdom resources that you might find useful on the TES website. Check them out at the link below.
    Kensuke's Kingdom resources

9. steveabey

steveabey New commenter

My year 6 class are about 3/4 through and are thoroughly enjoying it. We have examine Haiku poems and listed the main parts of the story. Children then make a Haiku about one of the areas. They illustrate it with a picture and then we will then display these in order to tell the story in Haiku's! They are enoying this.

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'm not Year 6, but our teacher faffs about with puppets for this book, if that's any help.... very good puppets, carefully constructed with paper mache heads and cloth for clothes and they look like the characters, they they have to condense the plot into a puppet show......