1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kennings.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dub73, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Before I search through the literacy framework site I thought I would ask on here. Does anyone know what year group Kennings are introduced in? Am thinking of doing them in an interview lesson I am doing next week.
    Thanks for your help.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Here's a confession: kenning is one of those words the meaning of which I forget within five minutes of hearing it defined. We all have such words.
    Seriously, I had to teach a lesson on personification in poetry to Year 3 last week. No doubt kennings will rear their ugly heads soon enough.
    Why are we teaching these things to little children who can barely string a sentence together when, in the past, they were dealt with at secondary school?
    I'm not suggesting that children shouldnt have wide experience of different kinds of poetry and prose. On the contrary. I'm just fed up that we have to waste time teaching things discretely to children too young to understand them.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I like Kennings because 'A kenning is a way of describing something without saying what it is', so opportunity for descriptive phrases & immediate Afl if the children can guess what it is!

4. taj

taj

We did it in year 4.

5. Thanks for the tip will remember this on Thursday.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Best of luck! Fingers crossed & all that!