1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kefalonia- has anyone been there on holiday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by annie2010, Feb 22, 2011.

1. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Would love to spend a week here this summer, having visited on a day trip from Zante, and, of course, seen 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'!
    Which would be the best resort to stay in? I don't drive, so car hire is not an option. As a lady 'd'un certain age' I'm not looking for wild nightlife either.
    Suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. annie2010

Would love to spend a week here this summer, having visited on a day trip from Zante, and, of course, seen 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'!
    Which would be the best resort to stay in? I don't drive, so car hire is not an option. As a lady 'd'un certain age' I'm not looking for wild nightlife either.
    Suggestions would be much appreciated.

3. As I haven't stayed in all of the resorts I can't answer your question. We ( me and Mrs.D.) stayed in Skala a few years a go and thought it was lovely. Just enough restaurants etc to visit, fantastic beach and generally very quiet and this was in August. Plenty of places have swimming pools and don't mind who visits.

Watch out for some resorts in the North as a couple of these are a bit near the airport and may get noise from aircraft.

As for accommodation it depends what you want and there's a good range to choose from. We stayed in a small pension just off the main street and liked it a lot but there some bigger complexes/hotels if that's your thing. We hired a car for a few days and loved touring the island cos it is beautiful. We went down the caves, round the winery(rubbish) and also to that beach where that film was ..err filmed. Mrs D. also found yet another Lidl so she was very happy.
    In fact we are thinking of going back for a week in May.

4. Oh aye forgot to mention that if you like peace then katelios was very quiet but I think there is a new harbours being built which might ruin that. Best do a bit of research.

Recommend this site:<>P>
    http://www.justkefalonia.co.uk/

5. annie2010

Many thanks.
    I shall enjoy researching , but the two resorts you mentioned sound like the sort of locations I would want to visit.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I am of a certain age, and we went to Scala a couple of years ago, and it was lovely. The sea is beautiful, the beach is a bit gritty, but very nice. The town is compact, and has lovely souvenir shops open at night, alonside many great restaurants!
    We went in August, though, and it was very, very hot, in fact too hot during the day for me to walk any distance at all, so I didn't venture out until 4 pm most days.
    Also, we had to pay extra for air conditioning in out rooms, but this might just have been the cheapskate place that we stayed in!

7. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

Hope you dont mind me asking but what did you think of Zante? I have been looking at a few places there that look lovely but dont seem to know anyone thats been there before.

8. annie2010

Zante is a lovely island - very picturesque.
    We stayed in Tsilivi, which is very suitable for families with teenagers, without being rowdy.
    If it's a trip for adults, there are several smaller, quieter resorts.
    Give Laganas a wide berth-unless you're 24 hour party people, under 25!
    Would recommend a Jeep Safari as a great way to see the interior areas of the island.

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

We stayed in Lassi and it was lovely. Would recommend it. Don't worry about driving there are plenty of coach excursions available if you want to see more of the island.
    We did 2 weeks in August and it was 40 degrees make sure you take sunblock if you go then and USE it! I did and got a lovely tan, husband didn't......!xx
    [​IMG]

10. I went a few years ago and stayed in Lassi. What a beautiful island with sunsets that have to be seen to be believed. Fabulous.

11. annie2010

Am now researching Lassi as well.
    The more I read about Kefalonia, the more I want to go there.
    The heat does not worry me- as someone who spends the winter layered in sweaters, and still cold- I thrive in hot weather.
    Thanks again for all these helpful suggestions.

12. annie2010

Am now researching Lassi as well.
    Thanks for all these suggestions - I'm spoiled for choice.
    Also, I love the Med. in August, as I'm a total sun-worshipper!