1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeps creeping into my mind!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by skt107, Jun 6, 2011.

1. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Just need a bit of a rant...sorry in advance!
    I've done everything by the book...had no contact for 6 months, deleted him from facebook, the lot! But yet he still keeps turning up in my thoughts! I wouldn't mind, but we never really had a proper relationship, he was a love rat and I should have known better!
    I met a lovely guy a couple of weeks ago who I think I could like (nothing more than texting yet as I've been away), but now I'm thinking maybe I should back off. I have no intention of ever going anywhere near the love rat again and wish he could disappear from my thoughts, but he's still there! Grrrrrrrr! Has anyone else been in this situation where they just cannot explain whats going on in their head?!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think being in love is a type of madness.

3. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Hmmm....I was hoping that wasn't the case. I'm very reluctant to ever admit I was in love with somebody who could never even admit he was in a relationship with me. I was hoping I had better judgement than that :-(

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Every day.

5. I think you are in love with the idea of him even though he is clearly a t***. Go out with the other bloke and perhaps try hypnosis?

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Maybe if you put other people in your mind (the new bloke for example) there won't be room for the plonker/love rat?
    I guess it just takes time.

7. skt107

skt107 New commenter

I hope that you're right! That's what I'm trying to do :), it just seems to keep reappearing when I least expect it to. Maybe I'm getting confused with the end of half term blues too!

8. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Well just think of all the things you miss when you were with him
    Then think of all the things you don't miss
    If list 2 is bigger than list 1 (Hey Presto)

I am trying that as we speak ;-)

9. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Have even written a list (and yep - list 2 was bigger!). He was so wrong for me and never gave me what I needed, and I genuinely don't want him in my life any more. He knows this because when he said he wanted to be friends I told him that I couldn't - that it would never work (after stupidly making that mistake with him before). I just thought, 6 months down the line, he'd have filtered out of my thoughts for good by now.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It's normal to go through this.
    Try not to dwell on how bad he is for you, what he did, how he let you down etc etc. It's just delaying getting over him.
    Certainly don't try to build a friendship with him; move on!
    Soon you won't be bothered by all this, because you will have met someone decent and genuine.
    Bad lads are always attractive, but ultimately you make a fool of yourself if you waste time pining after them. It's undiginified and childish.
    Besides they don't age well - really!

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Six months is not very long. I have kept an old mars bar in the car door pocket for twice that length of time now. I still know it is there. Tempting me. Give the bloke a year to fade, mars bars will of course need a bit longer.

12. let me take your mind off it!!
    just joking!
    it happens to me 4 years later!! only went on 4 dates!

13. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Thank you :). I know you're all right...it does make me wonder if I'm ready for a new (well actually real!) relationship if he's still there in the back of my mind. But in so many ways I feel ready to try and move forward! Mind you - being back at school means there's barely any time to think about anything, never mind even think about getting into anything new!

14. LOL - every day! It is my default setting [​IMG]
    But I don't pine for past loves, especially anyone who treat me like s.hite. As the German saying goes "other mothers have beautiful sons".

15. skt107

skt107 New commenter

I try not to...! And I think I might adopt that saying as my new motto!