1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping YR1's on task/focused?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex900, Jun 2, 2012.

1. bex900

bex900 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a PGCE student in a year 1/2 class.
    Just wondered if anyone has any effective ways of keeping year 1 children on task and focused?
    I have a couple of children in my class that will get easily distracted on the carpet and during tasks.
    I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

2. bex900

bex900 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a PGCE student in a year 1/2 class.
    Just wondered if anyone has any effective ways of keeping year 1 children on task and focused?
    I have a couple of children in my class that will get easily distracted on the carpet and during tasks.
    I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

3. Not sure if this is what you are after. Here are some ideas that I have used with Year 1s:

Sand timer- 'by the time this runs out you need to have done xyz' or 'you need to stay at this activity until the timer runs out'

Linked to this: Spot timer- (bit like traffic lights- used with SEN pupil) laminated A4 sheet with velcro, red circle, orange circle, green circle. Start at green circle, turn over, then turn over orange etc. This is sometimes more useful than the sand timer because you can control how long the child spends on a task taking into account how they are on that particular task/ day.

Reward chart- so much time at an activity leads to so much time at their favourite activity.

Visual timetable- with velcro pictures that can be changed/ taken off when completed.

More generally I find my Year 1s are more on task if it is something exciting, fun, relevant to them. Giving them a choice of tasks that would help them to achieve the LO.

Hope these are useful.