1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping up to date..

Discussion in 'Science' started by oceanroc7, Sep 13, 2020.

1. oceanroc7

oceanroc7 New commenter

I have been teaching science for 26 years and feel my science knowledge is getting a bit stale.... possibly even out of date! Can anyone recommend a good magazine or website where I can update my science knowledge so I can "Jazz up" my lessons a bit. I do know that Limestone is no longer in the AQA Chemistry curriculum but need links to a good journal or science news page. Any ideas would be most welcome.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Although obviously you need to keep up with changes in the syllabus, in terms of knowledge there is very little in the GCSE syllabus which wasn't known 26 years ago. The only topic I can think of in GCSE physics or chemistry is a brief mention in space physics of the discovery that the rate of expansion of the universe is increasing and the idea of dark energy. Even this discovery is 22 years old.

If you want to generally keep your science knowledge updated, New Scientist would be a good place to start. Also some of the science videos @AndrewvanZyl posts on this forum are worth watching.

oceanroc7 likes this.
  3. oceanroc7

oceanroc7 New commenter

Thanks very much gainly for your thoughts and ideas. I'll check out @AndrewvanZyl's posts. I guess I'm looking for something to inspire me after 26 years of teaching Ionic Bonding! I'm an Oceanographer but have been pigeon-holed into teaching almost entirely Chemistry this year..

4. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

Try Education in Chemistry magazine. It's free online, and schools in UK and Ireland can get a free print subscription.