1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping In Touch days

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by goldentramp85, Aug 31, 2015.

1. goldentramp85

goldentramp85 New commenter

Hello

I wondered if anyone could give me advice on KIT days, please?

I am a geography teacher who is also the Head of 6th form at my school and I am planning to go on early maternity leave as my school have increased my workload by reducing the hours of my 6th form admin assistant (she was already part-time) despite our numbers increasing this year - apparently I have to pick up the admin slack which no one has discussed with me and didn't think I had to do because I am a teacher. I don't have a deputy and my teaching hours are closer to 40 hours a fortnight. Anyway, I am thinking of leaving for maternity at half-term even though the baby is not due until 1st Jan to avoid the stress and workload which I face when I return this week.

My yr11 geographers are due to start and finish the write-up to their controlled assessment (worth 25%) by October half-term. Normally I mark these over December and January, but there is no way I am taking anything with me if I can help it. Can I use some KIT days after half-term to mark these projects? (They take about an hour each to mark). I'm worried if I come in, I'll get lumbered with 6th form stuff. My head is under the impression that I will work until Christmas holidays (I never said that I would, but that's the assumption).

Anyway, sorry this turned into a bit of a sorry-for-myself ramble but if anyone can advise on KIT days, I would really appreciate it. I'm dreading going back and not really sleeping worrying about it.

Many thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly - You wouldn't be taking 'early' maternity leave - You are fully entitled to commence your leave on any date you choose after week 29 of pregnancy (or 11 weeks before your due date) and many do for various reasons. Do calculate your dates carefully though and always 'try' to state a start date at the end of a holiday period for optimum benefit to yourself. If you haven't already submit your formal written notification of pregnancy and intended start date of maternity leave. You do not need to submit your intended return date and the school should assume you will take the full 52 weeks you are entitled to - Of course provided you give 21 days notice you can return at any point - again many return earlier for financial considerations.

KIT days are by mutual agreement. You *could* propose to use them to facilitate this, but it would depend if the school agree. Indeed if you propose a selection of KIT day dates your head teacher could refuse, could direct you to other duties or could totally agree.

You should not be loaded with duties which were previously someone else's in this way, certainly not without additional pay or a shift in your own workload, and certainly not for administrative duties - Your union should be notified and support you in addressing this.

As for the marking issue itself - Well you could leave them in someones hands, whether those hands are capable is the schools issue to manage, not yours. Personally, with a new baby, while your sentiment is applaudable and I was very much in your situation yourself, I wouldn't do it. Leave instruction for your mat leave cover/ with your HoD about turnaround for marking and submission of marks for the assessment process you have completed prior to leave and enjoy your new person!

3. goldentramp85

Thanks DaisysLot. I keep trying to reply on here but I don't know if it's my computer or the website, but once I sign in and try to reply, it keeps asking me for my username and password over and over.

I suppose I don't mean early, I mean earlier than I would have liked. The sheer volume of work is silly, even for a non-pregnant teacher. I don't know whether I am coming or going, but at least only 3.5 weeks until half-term (I've put maternity leave to start on 2nd nov). I think it's a good decision to go this early. I've worked at school until 6 each night, even on a Friday, and then of course more at home. No real lunch as students want to talk to you then, and been warned as ONE set of books out of 13 has not been marked yet... Anyway, I should not complain, the money is good and can be spent on my baby.

Thanks for your help on this.

4. DaisysLot

I would retreat somewhere out of students reach while on my legal entitlement to a lunch break… more teachers should.

As for being 'warned' - well… I would formidably but politely ask them if they could put that 'warning' in writing, as you are concerned about the tone of such warnings and feel that pregnancy is compromising your ability to keep up with the mounting workload and feel it should perhaps be addressed formally in a revised risk assessment. That should put a stop to that nonsense :)

j_pink likes this.
  5. goldentramp85

Thank you. I wish I could be more formidable but keep dissolving into tears! 3 and a bit weeks till half-term, and start of maternity...

6. DaisysLot

Oh my lovely…. I've been there… Sincerely remember that pregnancy hormones absolutely amplify everything emotive. But in all honesty, if you are feeling this stressed you need to make yourself formidably heard.

I'll be your backbone…. :)

7. DaisysLot

I suddenly have images of a large daisy being shoved up your posterior protruding out of your head… :confused: